jtayl71
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: John Taylor
Company Details: ISC Engineering
Company Position Title: Civil Engineer

Cluster to Cluster Registration

Post by jtayl71 »

I am having a problem registering two clusters together using cloud to cloud. I have a cluster that was scanned from a month ago that used target based registration to place on coordinate system. I now want to place a new cluster to that old cluster using cloud-to-cloud registration. I broke them into two different clusters and locked the scan manager of each. I then made the old cluster a "reference" cluster assuming this would lock in its position. When I place scans together, it fits them up nicely but it has moved the original cluster off of its coordinate system so both of my scans are now off coordinates. I have done this successfully in the past, is this an issue with the new 7.1 updates or does someone know the correct way to lock in the old cluster on coordinates? Thanks for the help.
sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Cluster to Cluster Registration

Post by sreed »

Gosh i hope this feature didn't get broken in Scene 7.x. We are about to upgrade office wide but rely on this sort of workflow regularly. Sounds like you're going about it correctly.

Just to be sure, you may want to generate a "control file" from targets in your reference cluster prior to registering to the new cluster. Then, if it gets shifted you could always lock the whole thing and register it back to the "control file". It certainly helps that your original scan cluster has targets.
brian715
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Boehmer
Company Details: Meridian Eng.
Company Position Title: LiDAR Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by brian715 »

I also have had many issues with my reference clusters moving off of control. When I got into it with the tech support, I was informed that my process was backward and that survey control should be the final step. to fix this, I just put everything in a parent cluster after the c2c registration is complete and re-register to control. This should put everything back where it goes. I have not been overly impressed by the way that scene handles control. It is way to easy for something to move when locked. Support informed me that reference clusters are not for the purpose of keeping it in place. TBH I am still not 100% sure what making a cluster a reference cluster does to it exactly, but it is not what you would think.
phamduysc
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Duy Pham
Company Details: Land Surveys
Company Position Title: Project surveyor
Skype Name: phamduysc
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by phamduysc »

jtayl71 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:53 pm I am having a problem registering two clusters together using cloud to cloud. I have a cluster that was scanned from a month ago that used target based registration to place on coordinate system. I now want to place a new cluster to that old cluster using cloud-to-cloud registration. I broke them into two different clusters and locked the scan manager of each. I then made the old cluster a "reference" cluster assuming this would lock in its position. When I place scans together, it fits them up nicely but it has moved the original cluster off of its coordinate system so both of my scans are now off coordinates. I have done this successfully in the past, is this an issue with the new 7.1 updates or does someone know the correct way to lock in the old cluster on coordinates? Thanks for the help.
I've got same issues, I don't know why they put "fixed" or "reference" word there if it's moveable.
brian715 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:16 pm I also have had many issues with my reference clusters moving off of control. When I got into it with the tech support, I was informed that my process was backward and that survey control should be the final step. to fix this, I just put everything in a parent cluster after the c2c registration is complete and re-register to control. This should put everything back where it goes. I have not been overly impressed by the way that scene handles control. It is way to easy for something to move when locked. Support informed me that reference clusters are not for the purpose of keeping it in place. TBH I am still not 100% sure what making a cluster a reference cluster does to it exactly, but it is not what you would think.
If I need to re-register some scans in the registered file from our customer- do you know how to export the control coordinate or keep the remaining scans position fixed?
Duy Pham | Surveyor

Return to “FARO”