V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Bury
Company Details: Bury Associates Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: BLK360 wifi issues and a general pfffffttt! to leica

Post by SteveBury »

There are a lot of extremely clever people working for Leica, but I can't help thinking that they were all on holiday the day it was decided that wifi was a sensible way of downloading scan data!

I've used the BLK a few times now - in general I'm impressed with it, but the wifi idea and having to use Recap really does let it down. I hope Leica listens and they activate the USB port as soon as possible.
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young »

Wait... it has a USB port and it's not even activated! Just when will this scanner be finished :x
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

I don't think Matt is ever going to order one :D
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Matt Young »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:18 pm I don't think Matt is ever going to order one :D
That is correct ;)
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

Rikore wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:56 amI think some of the problems come from the perceptions that the BLK is point shoot and register.
Isn't that exactly how it was marketed? After all, the interface is literally 1 button (unless you want to go back to the bad old days of lugging around a computer to control and monitor it). It seems like the goal was very much to make this 'PHD' scanning.
Jed
Robert_Lin
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Rob L
Company Details: GBC
Company Position Title: Researcher

Post by Robert_Lin »

Hi Felix,

I have been a lurker around the forums for quite a while due to personal interest and through my job. Due to how new I am I shyed away from posting.

After reading your post I feel relieved that I am not the only one that shares similar thoughts and feel that it would be good to add to your thoughts/experiences so we have a collective post rather then multiple mini posts.

I dont see many see posts of frustration/vent posts under the Leica topic so I always thought the frustrations and issues was from my personal inexperiences with Leica products, and it may very well be to a certain extent. I will make comment on the volume of Leica apologists out there. I am shocked that such a well reputed company can launch such a a half baked product which gets glazed over by apologists.

I do agree that not having a manual is a real shock. I have a backgound with Faro products even with their quirks, the ability to read a manual to trouleshoot minor issues provides a level of confidence that I do not find with Leica which is ironic that their motto is 'When it has to be right'. Email corrospondence with Leica technical help has been good during work hours. I agree the Help contents within Cyclone navigator is rubbish full of fluff with little to no technical detail.

Updating 9.2 is an absolute must or you wont be able to export PTX or E57 files, only PTS.

Each battery can only export a limited amount of scans before it dies which may explain your missing data after import. We usually do 2 dozen at a time and just do something else while we wait cause it takes a lifetime. (replace battery and repeat until complete)

Theres no way of backing up the data so we just create a new database and pray that no one delets it by accident.

Never tried spheres with Leica so cant comment.

james worrell
Firmware 1.1.3 on the BLK is buggy for us would not recommend updating it. Resulted in many failed scans / incomplete scans. You can email leica for the 1.0.3 version and revert.

If anyone can point me to more comprehensive tutorials/readings beyond the CR Kennedy manual and "oh pay $$$ for training" when you already paid $$$$$ for a product would be greatly appreciated.
You get a car manual when you buy a 25K car. You paid for a 25K machine you should have every right to a user manual too. As I still need to convince the higher ups for the cost of training.

Regards,

Rob

tl;dr
Cyclone no manual is silly, hostage to Leica training packages = more $$$
BLK360 is half baked, wifi is slow, no usb c, firmware is buggy, no ability to back up raw data, surprisingly high number of failed scans not due to user error ect.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

Matt Young wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:58 pm Wait... it has a USB port and it's not even activated! Just when will this scanner be finished :x
It does not have a USB port. It has a diagnostic port which is covered over. Just wanted to clarify.
xyzsystems
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: XYZ Systems
Company Details: XYZ Systems
Company Position Title: President

Post by xyzsystems »

jedfrechette wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:38 pm
Rikore wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:56 amI think some of the problems come from the perceptions that the BLK is point shoot and register.
Isn't that exactly how it was marketed? After all, the interface is literally 1 button (unless you want to go back to the bad old days of lugging around a computer to control and monitor it). It seems like the goal was very much to make this 'PHD' scanning.
that is exactly how it was marketed. if you don't have cyclone, you're dead in the water with the blk.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

pburrows145 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:22 pm
Matt Young wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:58 pm Wait... it has a USB port and it's not even activated! Just when will this scanner be finished :x
It does not have a USB port. It has a diagnostic port which is covered over. Just wanted to clarify.
A quote from an email that I received
"This is an internal USB C port which can only be used in production and service."
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Matt Young »

dhirota wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:26 pm
pburrows145 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:22 pm
A quote from an email that I received
"This is an internal USB C port which can only be used in production and service."
That's interesting - USB C (likely to replace the old USB soon) has the potential to transfer a lot of data very quickly. If it is there to get data (software/Firmware) onto the scanner, then surely it can be used to get data off?

Return to “Leica Geosystems”