travistlo
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Travis Johnson
Company Details: United States
Company Position Title: V.P.

Re: Transform coordinate system

Post by travistlo »

brianpgreen wrote:First a qualification. I've not actually done this but I believe it will work better than trying to eyeball the transformation using the workspace transformation controls.

Very simply.
Identify 3 points in your cad file that you can also identify in the scans.
Create a .csv file containing the coordinates of the 3 points from your cad file
Mark the corresponding points in the scans.
Import the .csv file on the workspace level. (Drag it into your Scene window)
Create a cluster at the top level of your workspace.
Place your scans in a sub cluster.
Lock all of the scan managers below the top level. (You don't want to reregister your whole project, just move it to your coordinate system)
Use the command "place scans" using target based registration on the top level.
Scene hopefully will find the correspondences and translate and rotate your scan project to your coordinate system.
This is a similar technique we use for architectural scanning, except the you can use your scan and cad together to get a final result.

(We use autocad)
Pick 3 or more reference points in the scan (Doesn't matter which ones, just ones that have good data).
We are only concerned with the X and Y coordinate. Once placed manually set the Z value to 0.
Export objects as DXFs
Export low res pointcloud convert to RCS
open/import into autocad align the objects and the point clouds to the position you want it to be in.
Delete everything except the 3 (or more) points that are your reference points.
You can use data extraction if doing many reference points to create a CSV, or manually create a CSV file using the point locations (Z should be at 0, its easier to do the Z adjustment in scene using the highest folders transform)
Import into scene as references and place scans using targets.
Scene should rotate to your desired alignment.
A1scan3d
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Kevin Halloran
Company Details: A1scan3d Pty Ltd
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: kevin_halloran
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by A1scan3d »

I am having trouble in scene getting the scans to register to my csv
there are 225 scans 5 clusters and a control at top level that all 5 clusters fall under
I have even tried aligning to the coordinates using cad to get my csv coordinates
when i place scans i get scans at 1700 meters instead of a height of 7 meters
can anyone shed some light on this
vvarela
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Victor Varela
Company Details: LLI
Company Position Title: Bim Phreak
Skype Name: viktor.varela90

Post by vvarela »

brianpgreen wrote: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:07 pm First a qualification. I've not actually done this but I believe it will work better than trying to eyeball the transformation using the workspace transformation controls.

Very simply.
Identify 3 points in your cad file that you can also identify in the scans.
Create a .csv file containing the coordinates of the 3 points from your cad file
Mark the corresponding points in the scans.
Import the .csv file on the workspace level. (Drag it into your Scene window)
Create a cluster at the top level of your workspace.
Place your scans in a sub cluster.
Lock all of the scan managers below the top level. (You don't want to reregister your whole project, just move it to your coordinate system)
Use the command "place scans" using target based registration on the top level.
Scene hopefully will find the correspondences and translate and rotate your scan project to your coordinate system.
Hello,
I have several questions and hope you can all help me regarding this topic.
We usually scan without targets or spheres. We do mostly cloud to cloud registration.

I have come to some conclusions and some doubts, let me know if I am Wrong
Its been concluded that Faro Scanners take as a 0 the height of the mirror and this one can be controlled from the Scans properties transformation tab.
When that is changed the whole global coordinate system is changed, allowing me to enter the PointCloud in a RCP file format in other softwares with the appropiate levels.

Sometimes in large areas we do scans only per area to avoid scanning the whole building, how can one reference all this scans to the same global coordinates, perhaps a .csv file containing the surveyed points will allow me do this?

Does anybody know how to solve this, can i obtain surveyed points from software such as Revit or AutoCAD. Will this create a trustful files that i can insert and will fall into place where they belong or is there a high chance of errors to be made.

I appreciate the help before hand,
V3
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

my experience is to use control in the registration software and align your clusters there.

Rotating and translating a pointcloud in autocad is a pain. Also when you would add scans later it's very difficult to align these scans in the existing cloud in autocad.

Always make sure that your control is viewed or accessible from every floor (or cluster). There are some topics created on this subject.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Raimund58
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Raimund Klink
Company Details: IHM engineering GmbH
Company Position Title: 3d scanning guy
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Raimund58 »

I think this link https://knowledge.faro.com/Software/FAR ... a_in_SCENE can be helpful for you guys :)
\o/

Return to “FARO SCENE”