Sphere targets c10

Faro FOCUS S350, S150, S70, M70, X30, X130, X130HDR, X330, X330HDR. Leica RTC360, C10, P15, P20, P30, P40, P50, BLK360, HDS6*00, HDS7000,HDS8800, HDS8400. Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i. Topcon GTL-1000, GLS2200, GLS1500. Trimble X7, X9, X12, SX12, SX10, TX8, TX6, S7 & S9. Z+F IMAGER 5016, 5010X, 5010C, 5006H, 5006EX & PROFILER 9012
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Sphere targets c10

Post by tbwester »

Those are good tips Paul. I run off a laptop, so it is a bit different.

And your right, you need to set the sphere size either on-board or in the preferences of cyclone.
christopherbyrne18
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Christopher Byrne
Company Details: Murphy Geospatial
Company Position Title: Head Of Dept Special Projects

Post by christopherbyrne18 »

Hey Guys,

I have scanned a tunnel or two and I'd personally go for the tilt and turn targets. I've found the calculated size for the spheres never quite the same as what it should be and therefore the centre point calculated from different scans never quite match. Not with the same reliability as the tilt and turn targets anyway.

Best of luck,

Chris
Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh

Post by Phil Marsh »

mbrown wrote:Hi Phil,

Are the 5/8" wall anchor systems something that you are selling on your website as I couldn't see them when I checked?

Thanks,
Hi Mike,

These are something we do sell but I don't think they can be found on the website. I will send you an email with some details on.

Thanks,

Phil
LASER SCANNING FORUM
[email protected]
gregorjev
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Gregor Novakovic
Company Details: 3D ATA d.o.o.
Company Position Title: Technical director

Post by gregorjev »

Hi,

so which targets are recomended to achieve maximum accuracy? If they are carbonic sphere, what is the optimum distance between the scanner and the target? Probably HDS target might be the best solution, but as i said, I would like to stay away from walking trough tunnel because of turning targets. The train is also very frequent... The sphere target is good solution, but yes, what about accuracy??? I'm scanning tunnel for deformation analysis.

Thanks
Andrej
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Andrej
Company Details: Meixner Vermessung and Freelancer
Company Position Title: Project Manager

Post by Andrej »

Hi Gregor

The combination is may be the most accurate way. Using half spheres which you can turn and survey with the total station. Is this case you also could fine scan the spheres and the HDS target and compare the position. However this would mean you have to turn them.
My experience using spheres in the registration is more accurate, however if you need them positioned by a total station you better off with half spheres or HDS.

Good look
colhum1
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Colin Humphreys
Company Details: Warwickshire Police
Company Position Title: Forensic Collision Investigator
Skype Name: col.humphreys

Post by colhum1 »

Hi all,
first post but been an 'observer' for a while so hope i'm not intruding :)

We use our C10 for collision scenes and used targets but found them to be problematic because of the walking distances up and down the scene esp. on a motorway, tilting and turning them to face the scanner.

Spheres looked to be a perfect option with a single set up, however, the commercial ones are too expensive for us, so went the DIY route.

6" plastic float valves (£4 ea)...special white matt plastic paint (£8.99)...
We found 'Maplin' mic stands (£9) fitted the floats, they adjust in height (and can even use the boom too for obscure angles and tight places 8-) ). They have stood up to high winds and not moved.

We did have a set of anodized thread adapters made by a local engineering company (but have since found similar cheaper on the web) so we could make use of the standard mag mounts.

You'll also see that we made some 'markers'...these are 'ping-pong balls' stuck onto solid metal bases and are used to identify points of interest on the road etc and highlight well on the scanner.

We have found that the error margins (if any) from our spheres is no different to the use of standard Leica targets.

Colin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Just leave me alone. I know what I am doing" - Kimi Räikkönen
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President

Post by tbwester »

I second the diy route.

I wrote an article for lidarnews a few weeks back on the methodology.

http://www.lidarnews.com/content/view/9525/136/

I find the spheres really easy to use, and rarely see registration errors more than 0.001 m.
imcid953
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: William J. Bryan
Company Details: Eye On Detail
Company Position Title: CEO

Post by imcid953 »

I have been working on building registration spheres. I read about how detectives are using ping pong balls and asked myself, "Why can't we do something similar?" My first go was augmenting (correcting) SECO registration spheres that don't work properly. http://www.lidarnews.com/content/view/8347/ My solution was to buy a $6.00 can of flat white primer/paint. I'm still in the testing phase, but the results are much improved. I've also started working on building larger spheres for extended range.
William J. Bryan

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." - Thomas Jefferson.
andrew.grigg
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Andrew Grigg
Company Details: 40SEVEN
Company Position Title: Senior Land Surveyor

Post by andrew.grigg »

I've always had the best results with blue 6" tilt n turn, the scanner almost always finds the centre first time unlike bw. Spheres may be fine but I don't get how you really know if the centre has been calculated correctly or not as it's not clear visibly, is it?

I wonder why noone has developed a double sided tilt n turn... These would be incredibly useful, especially in tunnels.

Ps. Those diy spheres look great.
miklos_hajnal
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Miklos Hajnal
Company Details: Magellan Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by miklos_hajnal »

We do have a Faro scanner, therefore spheres. We have started using them with our C10 as well as a common target between the two instruments.
You can actually acquire spheres with C10/P20 scanners. It is set up on both scanners. The ones we use are 145mm diameter. We did set it up on our C10, which takes only a few seconds and you do not have to do anything in Cyclone at all. It works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Miklos Hajnal

Return to “Terrestrial Laser Scanners [TLS]”