I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Amir Mizrachi
Company Details: Amir
Company Position Title: CTO
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Recommended Workstation for Cyclone Register 360 Plus

Post by amirmi »

Hello,

I am about to purchase a new PC that should run both Leica Cyclone Register 360 Plus (maybe also Leica 3DR next) and Autodesk Revit.
Any recommendation for a workstation that could be a good fit?

Thank you,
Amir
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Recommended Workstation for Cyclone Register 360 Plus

Post by Kruse »

depending on your budget, it can change alot, but if you want the best overall performing machine (in my testing since I use all of those softwares almost daily), I'd get something with these specs.

CPU - 14900K or 14900KS - plenty of multi thread power but has the highest single core speeds which makes a BIG difference.
RAM - 128GB DDR5 - something running at 5000MHz or higher. Running 192GB on 4 sticks works as well, but the speeds will be slower and generally hurt performance in my Reg360 and 3DR testing.
GPU - 4090 - don't waste your money on the A series of "professional" cards, they actually run slower compared to a 4090... you also can't take advantage of dual A series cards in Leica software yet, even with AI classification GPU workloads.
Storage - Ideally you have (2) 4TB Gen 5 NVMe drives, though you'll still get solid performance with Gen 4 NVMe, again, ideally having the two separate 4TB drives. 2TB drives would be the bare minimum to get speced.
Power supply - whatever feeds the beast and doesn't casue stability problems.
Cooling - we run Air coolers on all our machines with 13900K's and 14900K's and get solid performane from the Noctua coolers, though if you want a bit better temps and an overall quieter machine, you can go water cooling. We just didn't want the risk of leaks more than anything.

That's the basis of my ideal machine for processing, analysing scans with 3dr, to general use in Autodesk software. If you build it yourself, you could probably do it for less than $4500 or $5000, I haven't spec'ed out the parts myself in a while to know for sure, or you can look into 3rd party builders and have it built for around $6k to $7.5K depending on the features/builder/options. We mostly use Puget Systems to build out computers and they've been rock solid the last 5 years. We've done tons of testing in house on various builders and big name brands, on machines spec'ed like the above to crazy threadripper pro systems will multi A6000 GPUs and truly bonkers specs... The system spec'ed above was always the fastest in Register 360, fastest for most 3DR workflows and tools, and definitely the fastest with Autodesk software due to the single core speeds. The rabbit hole goes deeper depending on what kind of, if any, overclocking you want to do, but we generally just run Intel XTU with our Intel machines and run a simple, auto overclock and they stay very stable and reliable while getting much more performance without our end users needing to mess with BIOS settings. Just my two cents though.
JNally
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Joe Nally
Company Details: EPS
Company Position Title: Senior Engineering Surveyor

Post by JNally »

The best thing you would need to figure out first is how big are your scan jobs expected to be? While Kruse is right above about an all out monster of a processing machine, If a typical scan job for you is around 250 scans. Then you can spend alot less and be more than happy with it.

One of our machines is running a 10th Gen i9 with 64GB of RAM 4TB storage and an RTX A4000. It is more than capable of processing 1500 scans.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

Well and we are processing right now a job with 3500 setup on a ryzen 5 5600g without dedicated gpu, and 64 gb of ram and storage on the NAS (no local ssd only just for the os), though it is an old version of register (2020.1) not the latest one.

It costed us about 1000usd with two monitor.

It is more about the workflow and less about the hardware, yeah probably everyone can import setups faster than us, but who cares if it is done after workhours?

If you cannot import scan/export projects after hours it will kill productivity.. no matter how fast your machine is.
Last edited by badam on Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager

Post by sim.herrod »

Our machines are used for Cyclone processing and 3DR, but also photogrammetry, so our use is slightly different.

We've gone the AMD route rather than Intel. This was initially due to parts availability, and we've been pleased with the results so have stuck with the platform.

Our newest is a Threadripper Pro 7995WX with 512 GB DDR5 5200MT/s RAM and 4090 GPU.

Cooiling is an ENERMAX LIQTECH TR4 II 360mm AIO with additional case fans.

2TB system drive with 4x 4TB working as 2x 8TB extended volumes. One is for processing, one for cache/temp files. All Samsung 990 PROs

All data is backed-up on-site and off-site nightly.
Last edited by sim.herrod on Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

If your doing bigger jobs its the cost of the larger 8tb SSD that are a killer!

As my machines mainly both Cyclones, a new one with larger 8tb drives would be really hand to help the photogrammetry processing over night.
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager

Post by sim.herrod »

steves01x wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:07 pm If your doing bigger jobs its the cost of the larger 8tb SSD that are a killer!

As my machines mainly both Cyclones, a new one with larger 8tb drives would be really hand to help the photogrammetry processing over night.
Yeah, that's why we use 2x4TB as an 8TB extended volume. The 8TB drives are still really expensive.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager

Post by Kruse »

Like others have said, you don't need the balls to the wall spec like I had above for most things, unless you have the budget :D , but if you're trying to save some money, you can save the most by downgrading the GPU, a bit on the storage, and CPU from what I spec'ed above. I'd still try and spec your RAM to 128GB since Reg360 and 3DR HEAVILY use RAM for so much and that might be one of the biggest overall performance/stability improvements in those softwares along with a decent CPU (with 5GHz+ speeds).

Like others have said, you can get away with a lot less of a computer and still safely process these datasets, it just might take longer. I'm just in the industry of "Time is Money" and on most projects, it's a relatively easy sell to our PM's for a dedicated desktop of ~$7K to save us many, many hours across the project when we're completing 15,000+ scans on a single project with a scanner over the coarse of the project schedule. But our needs are different than most.
YusufUsmani
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Yusuf Usmani
Company Details: Tejjy
Company Position Title: Tejjy

Post by YusufUsmani »

https://rcdocs.leica-geosystems.com/cyc ... ifications - to be very precise, you can refer to this link!
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

YusufUsmani wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:06 am https://rcdocs.leica-geosystems.com/cyc ... ifications - to be very precise, you can refer to this link!
That is useless, as always with hw recommendation on any software. You should always test your software what it needs... cpu/gpu/ram/storage speed/storage size.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”