Leica BLK2Go

Discuss all BLK2GO | BLK2GO Pulse | BLK2FLY related products here.
Markus_Mathias
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Markus Mathias
Company Details: Scasa GmbH
Company Position Title: CEO
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Leica BLK2Go

Post by Markus_Mathias »

Thank you @dhirota for testing out PinPoint with BLK2GO! It is a new feature in our software to import b2g files and we directly added this option to optimize colors as we felt that the visual appearance gives a somewhat distorted view on actually quite good 3D data and additionally makes it more challenging for users to orient themselves within a 3D space. The spagetti pattern will not come back after export as the new point colors are in the baked into the data after import!

Here is a video we published for the release showcasing our color optimization. During import you can chose to enable the color optimization with the cost of a bit longer importing times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0lU8DbtHf4

Note that the data looks also different than in Register, as we use a splat-renderer to show 3D points. So rather than showing 3D points of a fixed sizes, we show little discs that are oriented with the surface normals. That way you do not have the issue of looking through geometry when getting closer...

This is our first release with BLK2GO support but we are still working on some specific features. For now, it is also possible to split the scanning trajectory (e.g. in case there was a drift starting at some point) but we are also running tests of adjusting the SLAM trajectory, e.g. to snap to additional teresstrial scans.

The software is created by Scasa and there is no relation to PointCab ;-)
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

Markus_Mathias wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:50 am Thank you @dhirota for testing out PinPoint with BLK2GO! It is a new feature in our software to import b2g files and we directly added this option to optimize colors as we felt that the visual appearance gives a somewhat distorted view on actually quite good 3D data and additionally makes it more challenging for users to orient themselves within a 3D space. The spagetti pattern will not come back after export as the new point colors are in the baked into the data after import!

Here is a video we published for the release showcasing our color optimization. During import you can chose to enable the color optimization with the cost of a bit longer importing times.

Since we only have a week to the free trial and I have only 2 days left, I processed two more scans by the BLK2GO (SCAN12 and SCAN14), which are out door scans) as shown on the screen shots below. The import time for the scan import, image reconstruction, color collection, color optimization and
waypoint generation at 5 meters took 45 minutes (b2g file size= 2.41 GB, with 38.2 Mpts).

PIN-POINT IMPORT.jpg

Although there is a clean up function as shown, it would be better to have any automated clean up to save personnel time and leave it to processor time.

SCAN12 PIN-POINT NOCLEANUP.jpg

Although the Pin Point import improved the visualization, there still seemed to be problems around the exterior edges. There might be alternative solutions to improve the visualizations, but it was not the intent to become an expert in a week. The E57 export was direct, but the RECAP export did not produce visualizations of any value to show here. Pin Point also downloads a Modeler package, but there is not enough time in the week to test it out.

EXPORT-SCAN12 E-57-Cloud COMPARE VIEWER.jpg

Markus: If you would like to check some files, I have listed the files sizes in the threads above and I can send them to you if you email me a link.

views=126,876
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

The world is becoming more Leica BLK friendly for us recently. It looks like we are purchasing a BLK2FLY at a significantly reduced price (below the US$62K listed with warranty), which should arrive next week sometime.

BLK2FLY.jpg

We will have the same problems with the "spaghetti" visualizations, but will continue to be working to eliminate that problem as with the BLK2GO. The significant difference between the BLK2GO and the BLK2FLY is with the GNSS availability and crash avoidance in the BLK2FLY.

Also of interest might be our Tuesday scans using the BLK2GO and our Riegl VZ600i to scan a historic building at a private school prior to its renovation. I plan to use the BLK2GO as a "filler" and total building scanner to see how it works out with the VZ600i as the geospatial registration with its RTK. It will also be interesting to compare RTK positioning registration between the BLK2FLY and the VZ600i, since the BLK2FLY does not require a tripod only a case for travel.

views=127,070
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Martin_au
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Ankor
Company Details: Anon
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by Martin_au »

I am pretty good at crash avoidance with the BLK2Go too. :D
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

dhirota wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:35 pm The world is becoming more Leica BLK friendly for us recently. It looks like we are purchasing a BLK2FLY at a significantly reduced price (below the US$62K listed with warranty), which should arrive next week sometime.
BLK2FLY.jpg
views=127,070
All it needs is an espresso maker to seal the deal (the 'Plan view' looks like a gas cooktop), I could 'smell the coffee' ;)

Return to “Leica BLK2GO | BLK2GO PULSE | BLK2FLY”