Windows 10 vs 11 performance in Register 360

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Windows 10 vs 11 performance in Register 360

Post by Kruse »

Just wondering if anyone is aware of any settings in Windows 11 or something to be aware of that might be affecting performance in Register 360 in Windows 11? Our company has forced us all into upgrades to Windows 11 and after a couple initial import tests with register 360 on my benchmark tests, it's about 40% slower for some projects. I still have more testing to validate this, but so far is consistently slower and I'm not sure why yet. Some tests are almost on par with Windows 10, but nothing yet has matched the performance when running windows 10. One dataset got hung up on the initial setups and never got past the first setups so I ended Register 360 to try again.

Has Leica fully updated/optimized Register 360 for Windows 11? If anyone has any documentation on Register 360 and Windows 11 settings to verify, that would be helpful as I'm still brand new to 11. (Everything is on the latest drivers, updates, and set to high performance)

I remember seeing some posts about Process Lasso software in the past being helpful with AMD based computers, but all the computers I'm testing on right now are Intel machines either a laptop running a 12950hx or a desktop running a 14900k CPU. Beyond that, we'd need admin rights to install/run process lasso, so that wouldn't be a long term option as we don't have admin rights.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Windows 10 vs 11 performance in Register 360

Post by smacl »

Not a reg360 user, but Windows 11 has a default power plan that seriously throttles the processor. I saw similar issues in SCC and they were resolved by tweaking the power settings to optimal performance. Also worth running a driver update scan, I use the AVG one which does the job well enough.

Off topic, but I really dislike Windows 11, it felt like they'd actually got most things right by Windows 10 and Windows eleven feels like one of those bad Windows versions like Windows 8, ME, Windows 98 etc...
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Kruse »

smacl wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:20 pm Not a reg360 user, but Windows 11 has a default power plan that seriously throttles the processor. I saw similar issues in SCC and they were resolved by tweaking the power settings to optimal performance. Also worth running a driver update scan, I use the AVG one which does the job well enough.

Off topic, but I really dislike Windows 11, it felt like they'd actually got most things right by Windows 10 and Windows eleven feels like one of those bad Windows versions like Windows 8, ME, Windows 98 etc...
I'll definitely be trying the different power plans, and with our dell laptops, we use the Dell optimizer application so it'll probably be necessary to retrain it on our software after the updates and see if that helps. Again with our IT, we don't have full control of the power plans, generally just the power saver mode, balanced mode, and high performance mode. The desktop does have an ultimate performance mode to try and compare. Either way, I appreciate the info!
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

smacl wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:20 pm Not a reg360 user, but Windows 11 has a default power plan that seriously throttles the processor. I saw similar issues in SCC and they were resolved by tweaking the power settings to optimal performance. Also worth running a driver update scan, I use the AVG one which does the job well enough.

You are not the only one :D i'll leave 10 as long as i can. :mrgreen:

Cruse have just tried to set thread priority high from task manager? Maybe that will also disable the dynamic thread priority as it does with process lasso.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by smacl »

Kruse wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 pmI'll definitely be trying the different power plans, and with our dell laptops, we use the Dell optimizer application so it'll probably be necessary to retrain it on our software after the updates and see if that helps. Again with our IT, we don't have full control of the power plans, generally just the power saver mode, balanced mode, and high performance mode. The desktop does have an ultimate performance mode to try and compare. Either way, I appreciate the info!
Only works when software uses OpenMP for multi-threading but I found setting OMP_WAIT_POLICY PASSIVE in the system environment also helps. Having waiting threads stay spinning means increased power consumption and hence more likelihood of thermal throttling. Making them passive frees waiting threads to other processes or leaves them idle where not needed. Might make zero difference if OpenMP is not used for multi-threading.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Kruse »

I'll look into that Shane, but doing some testing with Process Lasso and the Windows Dynamic Thread Priority seemed to help a bit on my desktop. Still a bit slower in some areas, but it's almost on par with the Windows 10 machines again. Still some more testing to be done....

My laptop and Dell optimizer has now learned Register 360, so when I get some time, I need to retest again and see if that helped.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Kruse »

Another interesting discovery that's worth sharing since I'm sure there are others out there having the same problem...

When you run Register 360 as Administrator, it seems to override Windows 11 a bit and utilize the P cores more often when it comes to the single threaded workloads. After running a couple smaller and shorter import datasets, I'm seeing consistent import performance improvements. From ~50 minutes to import 55 setups (with 5K images) down to 44 minutes.

Still need to test on my laptop as that was still generally running slower on Windows 11, but this is this most progress to date.

Talking with some of our Tech Support contacts, they mentioned that Windows 11 has some built in AI that's always trying to learn your applications and when to use P cores vs E cores (with Intel chips). It's sort of a black box with no real way of directly telling Windows to utilize P cores (though running an application as Admin seems to help), so over time, W11 should hopefully learn and better optimize when to throw P cores at the single threaded workloads vs having the E cores run them thinking Register 360 is now a background application.

Watching my core usage through HWiNFO64 and the effective clock speeds seems to confirm P and E core usage when running Reg360 normally vs running it as admin. The testing and investigation continues!! :geek:
kahru
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Kaur Kreinin
Company Details: Kaur kreinin
Company Position Title: CEO

Post by kahru »

Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Kruse »

kahru wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:31 am Here is one idea.
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments ... se_pcores/
Yeah, I discovered that trick as well by simply restricting the ability to use the E cores at all during processing, and while it's an option within Task Manager, I don't think it's the best overall option as Register 360 will bounce between full 100% CPU usage and using only a few cores at time. Restricting use of any E cores might cause a slower overall duration of import vs utilizing all cores and accidentally using E cores when it should be using P cores for single threaded loads.
kahru
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Kaur Kreinin
Company Details: Kaur kreinin
Company Position Title: CEO

Post by kahru »

This issue is between three parties, Intel Ms and Leica and the easiest way to fix it is at Leica. We can only hope that shortly, someone will make an update and this problem will disappear. As for updates
it is necessary to test properly before climbing on a new thing, if the old system worked well, why replace it with a new one?

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”