V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: RIEGL VZ600i

Post by dhirota »

dhirota wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:42 pm For those that are concerned about mounting a Riegl VZ400i on the Benro C3780TN fiber tripod, please note the information below. As Lieven has mentioned above, although the tripod has a capacity of 39 lbs, one always needs to be careful.
RIEGL-BENRO-ADAPTERS-01.jpg
While I am still waiting, two of the VZ600i items that I ordered showed up today. The Benro/VZ600i 3-point setup stand/ground adapter and the 5/8 inch-11 thread plate that fits on the BENRO tripod that fits other scanners, shown below on the right.

RIEGL-BENRO-ADAPTERS-02.jpg

The Benro/VZ600i 3-point setup stand/ground adapter is shown on the BENRO tripod below.
RIEGL-BENRO-ADAPTERS-03.jpg

Just for a reminder, I paid US$248 + tax + freight in the USA for the BENRO carbon fiber tripod made in China and more than that each for the two adapter items from Riegl that arrived today. For interest, I have included the Gitzo carbon fiber tripod that Leica uses for their RTC360 scanner below. I do not know what Leica charges for their version of the Gitzo tripod, but if you are interested in purchasing one from B&H, without the Leica connector base plate, you can see the price below.

LEICA-GITZO-GT5543XLS.jpg
GITZO-GT5543XLS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
blazaj
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jiri Blazek
Company Details: BW precision systems sro
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by blazaj »

In such extreme case you get more information from intensity anyway and can omit color capture at all. I understand that it is difficult to measure exposure properly in all directions when taking pictures during scanning, but still it should look much better IMHO.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

blazaj wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:06 pm Exposure was probably measured in the shadows which overblows everything else. In some difficult situations you can't get reasonably exposed panoramas without HDR but this does not seem to be the case. Looking forward to see Sony A7 360MPx pics, the dynamic range of the full frame should be way better than anything built-in the scanner.
As to the 10mm vs 14mm lens you'll have to take more pictures to cover 360 deg. panorama with the latter. It slows scanning time. On the other hand it will result in higher resolution panorama and in theory the longer focal length should be easier to rid of distortion and other faults wide lenses bring. I guess Riegl tested more than one combination and picked camera+lens set that suits best the needs.
There has been a lot of discussion about external cameras/lenses.

I do not have the time to totally evaluate the Riegl system since I have not received the Riegl calibrated SONY + Voigtlander system from Austria. Here are a few images from our second SONY alpha 7RV + Voigtlander 10mm below. The First Insurance Bldg (taken at 30meters to the bldg.) and the 864SBS Parking (taken at 20meters to the wall) images are approximately 20MB jpeg (not raw SONY) files at 9504X6336 pixels (reduced to 1000X666 pixels for LSF).
FIRST-INSURANCE-BLDG.jpg
8964SBS-PARKING.jpg

This cropped portion (taken from the original jpg at 9504X6336 pixels) is 503X250 pixels). The cement blocks are 16X8 inches to give you a reference.
CROP-503X250 PIXELS.jpg

The Voigtlander 10mm lens at f/5.6 has everything in focus from infinity to approximately 0.4meter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

Just to briefly expand the last post with some additional crop images from the original SONY 9504X6336 pixels (image shown has been reduced to 1000X666 for LSF) to give sense of distance with the photographic images. The cropped images were taken from the original SONY jpeg 9504X6336 pixel image.
FIRST-INSURANCE-BLDG.jpg

1. Crop First Insurance, distance=30 meters
2. Crop Condo, distance= approximately 315 meters
3. Crop Straub Hospital, distance=approximately 210 meters
CROP-557X216 PIXELS-FIRST INSURANCE.jpg
CROP-538X345 PIXELS-CONDO.jpg
CROP-671X297 PIXELS STRAUB HOSPITAL.jpg
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

These pictures will colorize a Riegl pointcloud just fine Dennis. I wouldn't worry about it ;)
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
blazaj
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jiri Blazek
Company Details: BW precision systems sro
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by blazaj »

Looks good Dennis, I appreciate the 60MPx resolution. If Riegl makes the camera shoot RAW and adds some basic automatic refinement suppressing highlights and lightning up shadows you'll get even better panoramas for colorizing pointclouds.
JoshSteinert
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Joshua Steinert
Company Details: HFA AE
Company Position Title: ScopeScan Lead

Post by JoshSteinert »

This is a wealth of information Dennis.
I cant wait to see the 600i working with this camera in a kinematic solution.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

JoshSteinert wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:07 pm This is a wealth of information Dennis.
Joshua,
Kinematic will be only reflectance values at this point, no coloring yet.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

blazaj wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:19 am Looks good Dennis, I appreciate the 60MPx resolution. If Riegl makes the camera shoot RAW and adds some basic automatic refinement suppressing highlights and lightning up shadows you'll get even better panoramas for colorizing pointclouds.
JoshSteinert wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:07 pm This is a wealth of information Dennis.
Still waiting. Reference= external source.

Internal camera (3) panorama image (95MB jpeg, 15,649 X 4,433 pixel--reduced to 1,000 X 283 for LSF) still waiting for colored external SONY point cloud or colored textured mesh.
VZ600i-INTERNAL-PANO.jpg
CROP 749X896.jpg
CROPPED from original 749 X 896 pixels
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

The last posted image was just a single panorama, the following images I have processed using the latest Riegl RiScan Pro version 2.18.0 r12880 on my "ugly" 7 year old red DELL laptop since I am in Ann Arbor, MI.

Still waiting, but received a 3 scan position VZ600i project file with only internal Riegl cameras. The older RiScan Pro software displayed the panorama images in RiPANO as 14,876 X 7438 pixels totalling 110,647,688 pixels. The newest software does not show the image sizes. The Octree image shown below was created with point cloud moving objects being removed and the remainder placed on a 5mm grid.

RIEGL-USA -OCTREE PT-CLOUD at 5mm.jpg
SCANPOS2-RIPANO-.jpg
I have not shown all RiPANO images since there needs to be additional work on RiPANO to resolve some problems. The significant difference on the RiPANO and internal camera images between the VZ400i external camera images and the VZ600i is the smaller tripod shadow, showing more of ground below the horizon. There still needs to be software work on dealing with the tripod shadow.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]

Return to “Riegl”