Anyone use CloudWorx with .rcp?

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
ericf
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Eric F
Company Details: efeng
Company Position Title: Eng Tech

Anyone use CloudWorx with .rcp?

Post by ericf »

We've recently started a trial for CloudWorx and Publisher Pro and have been experimenting with the features. I've noticed that working with .rcp seems to have some disadvantages compared to .lcs - even though it was advertised to us that they would work the same.

Our current workflow is inserting an .rcp into Inventor and modeling around it - (building, equipment, sometimes pipe routing.) CloudWorx for Revit seems like it would be a great addition to our workflow, especially with its auto-fitting functions, and it would be even better if we could avoid a Publisher License and use it with .rcp only. Could anyone who uses a similar workflow give us some tips/best practices?

Some of our specific issues include:
  • 3D Mouse navigation is very choppy
  • Fitting tools (especially the pipe fitter) will sometimes select points that have been clipped out and are invisible
  • When using fitting tools with an .rcp the point cloud sometimes disappears when we are prompted to select a point
  • Revit freezes when we try to open a CloudWorx project
Thanks in advance for any help!
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Anyone use CloudWorx with .rcp?

Post by badam »

Well if you want to utilize cloudworx all functions you will need lgs files.

If you want to use cloudworx, i'd just buy the publisher pro as well. Maybe you could look up other solutions as well, maybe those would be better and/or cheaper.

Clearedge/aurivus, veesus plugin/etc there are several tools to help/ semi automate point cloud modeling.
tristanthibault
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Tristan Thibault
Company Details: BBA
Company Position Title: Coordonnateur en technologies relevés 3D
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by tristanthibault »

you don't need to have publisher PRO in order to export LGS.

We are using Cloudworx for AutoCad - Briscad - Revit - Navisworks - Smartplant. ( smartplant can not open lgs, it's need to use cyclone enterprise...) You need a computer with some cpu and GPU to be able to work properly otherwise it will be laggy and user will not love them.

Cloudworx for Revit is the more powerful of the Cloudworx. When you create stuff from the fitter tool ( you can do pipe, wall, structure, HVAC, window, cable tray) it creating real 3D from Revit library with the spec and the floor plan you are on. AutoCad/briscad only create 3D dummy. It could be good for visualization but not for working.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

tristanthibault wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:17 pm you don't need to have publisher PRO in order to export LGS.

We are using Cloudworx for AutoCad - Briscad - Revit - Navisworks - Smartplant. ( smartplant can not open lgs, it's need to use cyclone enterprise...) You need a computer with some cpu and GPU to be able to work properly otherwise it will be laggy and user will not love them.

Cloudworx for Revit is the more powerful of the Cloudworx. When you create stuff from the fitter tool ( you can do pipe, wall, structure, HVAC, window, cable tray) it creating real 3D from Revit library with the spec and the floor plan you are on. AutoCad/briscad only create 3D dummy. It could be good for visualization but not for working.
I beg to differ on Bricscad... check out the product page here for the BIM variant: https://www.bricsys.com/en-gb/bricscad-bim - it's very cool! I love "BIMIFY"... a great tool for NOOBS and Pro's alike!

And yes, Publisher (and Publisher Pro) allow LGS export. The main differences with Pro is that the LGS files it creates, supports both VR access (within TruView VR) and also 3D model content within the file.
ericf
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by ericf »

pburrows145 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:10 pm And yes, Publisher (and Publisher Pro) allow LGS export. The main differences with Pro is that the LGS files it creates, supports both VR access (within TruView VR) and also 3D model content within the file.
Could you tell me how to save an LGS with 3D geometry included? I can click and drag an OBJ into an open LGS in Truview, but I can't save it. Do I need to insert the OBJ in another program?
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by pburrows145 »

Just re-save the file... the option should be within the Viewer. Which version are you running? You can only add models to LGS files published using Pub Pro.
wmta
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: William Tucker
Company Details: WmTuckerAssociates
Company Position Title: Ceo

Post by wmta »

Using cloudworks is so much better than Autocad recap files. The lgs file contains the scan and photos in one file which can be viewed with free viewer
Trying to say 1,000 dollars so you do not use publisher is a very fault economy extra labor cost over a year, or more than offset the cost of publisher from Leica. And I don’t like paying Leica all the software fees, but it didn’t seem like AUtocad has a good option. I’m using cloud works with AutoCAD for a number of projects and it works wonderful. I totally recommend cloud works using the LDS files with AUtocad
ericf
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by ericf »

pburrows145 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:56 pm Just re-save the file... the option should be within the Viewer. Which version are you running? You can only add models to LGS files published using Pub Pro.
- TruView 2022.1.0
- Cyclone REGISTER 360 (BLK Edition) 2021.1.2
- Trial Publisher Pro License

We still cannot get models to show up in VR even after re-saving. Do you think this is because we are publishing LGS through BLK Edition? The compatibility table at https://rcdocs.leica-geosystems.com/tru ... patibility does not mention the BLK Edition specifically, but does show that models are supported with Publisher Pro.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by pburrows145 »

ericf wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:39 pm
pburrows145 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:56 pm Just re-save the file... the option should be within the Viewer. Which version are you running? You can only add models to LGS files published using Pub Pro.
- TruView 2022.1.0
- Cyclone REGISTER 360 (BLK Edition) 2021.1.2
- Trial Publisher Pro License

We still cannot get models to show up in VR even after re-saving. Do you think this is because we are publishing LGS through BLK Edition? The compatibility table at https://rcdocs.leica-geosystems.com/tru ... patibility does not mention the BLK Edition specifically, but does show that models are supported with Publisher Pro.
Models are not yet supported in VR... hence why you cannot see them.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

wmta wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:52 pm Using cloudworks is so much better than Autocad recap files. The lgs file contains the scan and photos in one file which can be viewed with free viewer
Trying to say 1,000 dollars so you do not use publisher is a very fault economy extra labor cost over a year, or more than offset the cost of publisher from Leica. And I don’t like paying Leica all the software fees, but it didn’t seem like AUtocad has a good option. I’m using cloud works with AutoCAD for a number of projects and it works wonderful. I totally recommend cloud works using the LDS files with AUtocad
I agree 100%, and we have discovered that it seems that CLoudworxs is made to navigate using the TruView Space viewer in Sync mode and the LGS /Jetstream/Cyclone Enterprise file.
It work SO MUCH better than trying to use native Autodesk or 3D orbit modes to change orientation on the cloud. Autodesk modes many times create wonky responses in Cloudworxs and in your view (necessitating various saved template views to get back to the area you are working in.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”