V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

AMD RYZEN 9 ZEN4 7950X

Post by dhirota »

If you are interested in DIY build of an AMD Ryzen Zen4 7000, today is the day that major components are available for folks like us on the LSF from Amazon (Some items not available) and Newegg (Some items sold out).

I purchased the following items today and will arrive by Friday, Sept 30:

From Amazon
RYZEN 9 7950X.jpg

From Newegg
ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME.jpg

I have everything else except deciding on GPU (will use a spare) and finding the DDR5 EXPO RAM 4X 32GB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Re: AMD RYZEN 9 ZEN4 7950X

Post by smacl »

Was listening to a tech video on it a few days back. Great performance but very power hungry and runs hot, apparently the performance is much more dependant on the cooling than previous iterations of the Ryzen. Should be a very strong all-rounder as its single thread performance is also much stronger than previously, though DDR5 only makes it a potentially expensive build.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

smacl wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:38 pm Was listening to a tech video on it a few days back. Great performance but very power hungry and runs hot, apparently the performance is much more dependant on the cooling than previous iterations of the Ryzen. Should be a very strong all-rounder as its single thread performance is also much stronger than previously, though DDR5 only makes it a potentially expensive build.

Current information indicates that the 7950X will run all 16 cores @ 5.0+ GHz @ 95deg C with good cooling. I believe I have good cooling, but we will find out how good. I will start out with an EVGA 1,000W PSU with options of EVGA 1,300W or 1,600W PSU if I need them. I am looking for an ATX 3.0 PSU before I decide to use a RTX4090 when they become available in October.

DDR5 RAM does not appear to be significantly more expensive than DDR4 RAM considering 32GB RAM sticks. Decided to use the smaller DDR5 RAM sticks (16GB each, AMD EXPO(OC enabled)) and wait until the the higher speed, more expensive DDR5 32GB RAM sticks become available for purchase at a reasonable cost, maybe next year.

G.SKILL TRIDENT Z5 NEO SERIES AMD EXPO DDR5 6000 (PC48000) 2X 16GB.jpg

Depending on what DDR5 RAM speed and size and PCIe5 NVMe storage will be available, it could be an expensive build. As I always say, it depends if you have the windows of technology opportunity in front of you to execute.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

I will wait Intel until Christmas they said that something new is coming!
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

All my ordered AMD AM5 7950X arrived on Saturday. I originally decided to build it using a Corsair 5000D case, but after checking every thing out, decided that it did not fit my requirements for more than 2X 3.5 inch HDD and the motherboard space was too tight. I will now build the system using a Fractal Design 7 XL which can insert 18X 3.5 inch HDD if required.

I will use the AMD AM5 RYZEN 9 7950X, $700 (no tax or freight included). Sales seem to be slow with some reporting that MicroCenter is giving free 32GB DDR5 RAM as an incentive to purchase CPUs.
1. AMD AM5 RYZEN 9 7950X.jpg

I will use the ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME MB $1,000 (no tax or freight included). It is well built and weighing 3,040 grams/6.704 lbs. Virtually the same price I paid for my TR Pro 3995WX MB (ASUS Pro WS WRX80E SAGE SE WIFI) and you can use it with AMD TR PRO 5995WX. Using the TR PRO maybe a better workstation depending on the applications being used.
2. ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME.jpg
3. ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME MB.jpg

It comes with a plugin (ROG GEN-Z.2 for 2 total NVMe Gen4 and Gen5 sticks). I will use a spare SS 980 PRo 1TB Gen4 to test the system.

4. ROG GEN-Z.2 DDR4.jpg

The Gen5 is empty since significant choices are not currently available.

5. ROG GEN-Z.2 DDR5.jpg

This card appears to be similar to the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 4.0 X4 Expansion Card Supports 4 NVMe M.2, but only supports a single Gen5 stick instead of 4. All of the Gen5 connections have significant heatsinks.
6. ROG PCIe 5.0 M.2 CARD.jpg

I decided to use the G.SKILL TRIDENT Z5 NEO DDR5-6000 AMD EXPO although more expensive than some of the other 15 options. I have had success with G.SKILL with the original ThreadRipper RAM. $460 for 4X16GB sticks (no tax or freight included).

7. G.SKILL TRIDENT Z5 NEO DDR5-6000 AMD EXPO.jpg

OVERALL FOR AM5: CPU speed faster with 16 cores, peripheral communications significantly faster with more ports, costs increasing.

FUTURE FOR AM5: ATX3.0 PSU, NVIDIA RTX 4090, cheaper NVIDIA RTX 3090, faster DDR5 RAM, larger/faster Gen5 NVMe storage
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

I have my 7950X system running with W10 PRO and loading applications software.

CPU-Z 10_7_2022.jpg

I have not over-clocked anything yet, but it seems to be running 5.8+ GHz in single core-mode, water-cooled 360.

Glad I decided to use a Fractal Design Define 7 XL, which can easily store 8X 12TB spare Seagate drives in raid 6 for testing storage.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
ProCro
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Nino Skupnjak
Company Details: SKIMI64
Company Position Title: procurator

Post by ProCro »

What temp do you have with 360 AIO? Apparently 95°C is not an issue for Ryzen 7xxx series.
masterpine
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Roy Candler
Company Details: Delonix Solutions
Company Position Title: Senior Reality Capture Technician

Post by masterpine »

The 95°C temps are pretty standard for the 7950X, that's just where it wants to sit and will happily PB around that temperature target. I've found slightly under-volting my system along with setting CO -20 results in 80-85°C temps and higher performance but of course YMMV. This is using a 420mm Corsair H170i AIO cooler.

Some of the early BIOS's are in a very rough state too. I've got one system with an AsRock X670E SL which takes about 6 minutes to boot on BIOS changes due to DRAM tuning, even once tuned it takes a good minute or so to post. Also will not hold XMP/EPOS profiles on 4x32GB of Corsair 5600 DDR5. Other system runs a Gigabyte board which was having some issues with fully populated NVME slots which was fixed with a BIOS revision.
Last edited by masterpine on Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

ProCro wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:09 am What temp do you have with 360 AIO? Apparently 95°C is not an issue for Ryzen 7xxx series.
Here is a table showing the compute times using a Riegl VZ400i and RiSCan Pro v.2.15 to office process a 60 scan data set.

RiSCAN PRO.jpg

The RAID6 column used the data residing on a RAID6 8X12TB Seagate, and the SS 980 PRO column for data residing on the 2TB boot disk.

ROG CPU-Z.jpg
QMC-ENTRY.jpg
QMC2.jpg

What is interesting is the speed to colorizing the point clouds (a little over 2 minutes) for 60 panoramas (540 nikon images) with an ugly RTX GPU with 8GB VRAM and scanning from the sidewalk.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

dhirota wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:39 am
ProCro wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:09 am What temp do you have with 360 AIO? Apparently 95°C is not an issue for Ryzen 7xxx series.
Here is a table showing the compute times using a Riegl VZ400i and RiSCan Pro v.2.15 to office process a 60 scan data set.

RiSCAN PRO.jpg

The RAID6 column used the data residing on a RAID6 8X12TB Seagate, and the SS 980 PRO column for data residing on the 2TB boot disk.

ROG CPU-Z.jpg

QMC-ENTRY.jpg

QMC2.jpg

What is interesting is the speed to colorizing the point clouds (a little over 2 minutes) for 60 panoramas (540 nikon images) with an ugly RTX GPU with 8GB VRAM and scanning from the sidewalk.
Interesting results. Thanks for the comparison.
Only effect on import and filtering from what i see.
I do all my registration sitting at the pc and watch the pointcloud build up so in that field not much benefit. All the other steps could be done when doing other stuff on another machine.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]

Return to “General Chat”