Targets from Points

Discuss Trimble Realworks software here.
flintwinchthames
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Roger Moore
Company Details: Land Registry Services
Company Position Title: Junior
Linkedin Profile: No

Targets from Points

Post by flintwinchthames »

Hi All, I am searching for a way to extract targets from a point cloud. I would like a similar mathematical fitting of the targets to the points by selecting a section of points from the overall cloud, not by selecting the points from the station image as is done in the traditional target based registration.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? I am using version 11.
paranoiahasu
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: ANIL
Company Details: Mergen3D
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Targets from Points

Post by paranoiahasu »

Have you tried the Auto Target Extraction option in the Target-Based Registration menu?
TMillington
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Tony Millington
Company Details: ISIS Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Company Position Title: Survey section leader
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by TMillington »

I can think of two ways to do this, both of which probably only work with sphere targets - but I'm not sure what you gain by doing so.
1 - Run the Target based registration as usual, and then work through selecting the individual point clouds TRW creates for each target and merge those that are for the same target, you can then fit a sphere to the merged point cloud.

2 - Register the project and then use the 'Cloud based Modeler' option with the registered full point cloud to select the points you want each time and fit a sphere.

I guess the aim is to use all the available points to fit a target, rather than just those from one station scan, to try and better model the 'correct' position for a sphere?
Whether this gives a 'better' result than the final mean target positions from the Target based Registration, I'd be interested to know.
flintwinchthames
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Roger Moore
Company Details: Land Registry Services
Company Position Title: Junior
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by flintwinchthames »

It's an imported e57 file based on a mobile scan. I'm wanting to compare the positions of multiple scans of the same room to measure its accuracy.

Auto Target Extraction doesn't find any targets.

The cloud based modeller idea indeed worked for the spheres I had placed which gives me something to work with. Unfortunatly I only located the paper targets with a Total Station so I'm still searching for that solution.

Return to “Trimble Realworks”