I have made <0 posts
Full Name: James Scheuermann
Company Details: Survey and Civil Engineering
Company Position Title: Project Surveyor
Skype Name: James_Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

X7 Exporting to .rcp Results in Loss of In-Field Registration

Post by James_Surveyor »

I have noticed that if I export a scan project from the X7 tablet which is running Trimble Perspective to an .rcp format to be used in Autodesk programs, the registration between station setups that is established during the scanning process is not carried over. Therefore each station scan must be re-registered through ReCap which I do not understand as this process was already completed, saved, and "refine registration" has been performed on the X7 tablet prior to exporting. Similarly with georeferencing your scan project, this does not seems to transfer over when exporting to .rcp format.

Does anyone have experience with this problem and have any recommendations? Has anyone successfully been able to export to other file formats such as .e57 and noticed that the auto-registration and georeferencing performed in the field has been uncompromised?

Thanks
Attila
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: Tóth Attila
Company Details: Rackarto Kft
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: rackarto

Re: X7 Exporting to .rcp Results in Loss of In-Field Registration

Post by Attila »

If I remember correctly, via *.las and *.e57 it works correctly.
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Post by Augusto 3D »

James_Surveyor wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:03 pm I have noticed that if I export a scan project from the X7 tablet which is running Trimble Perspective to an .rcp format to be used in Autodesk programs, the registration between station setups that is established during the scanning process is not carried over. Therefore each station scan must be re-registered through ReCap which I do not understand as this process was already completed, saved, and "refine registration" has been performed on the X7 tablet prior to exporting. Similarly with georeferencing your scan project, this does not seems to transfer over when exporting to .rcp format.

Does anyone have experience with this problem and have any recommendations? Has anyone successfully been able to export to other file formats such as .e57 and noticed that the auto-registration and georeferencing performed in the field has been uncompromised?

Thanks

You should be able to "by-pass registration" and let Recap continue indexing the scans. I haven't really used the RCP file from the tablet directly since I usually like to check the registration on the PC, segment etc.
benoit.lachapelle
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Ben Lach
Company Details: Scan
Company Position Title: Scan

Post by benoit.lachapelle »

Always use e57 export from X7 and not RCP.
It's quicker to export it to e57, import it to Recap,, skip registration and let it index than to use the direct RCP export.

in some cases, the RCP export from X7 is bigger than the one created from e57, plus opening panoramic views took a few more seconds every station for some reasons.

long story short; export e57 and use this format in Recap using the skip registration button if using Recap Pro.

cheers,
scanengineer
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Jason Parker
Company Details: none
Company Position Title: Engineer

Post by scanengineer »

why are you running the scans through recap if they are already rcp files?

Return to “Trimble”