I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mike Ellis
Company Details: Carbon Certification
Company Position Title: Technical Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Introduction Training Courses in the UK

Post by Ellisium »

Hi, i'm looking to gain experience in 3D Laser Scanning and, more importantly, understanding the various software programs required for the post scan processing of the point cloud data.

My background is as a building surveyor and I feel this could be particularly useful on the more complex buildings to create 'as-built' plans, cross-sections and elevations. Eventually this would lead to Building Information Modelling.

I can imagine alot of this comes down to time-served experience so a long term course would be ideal. During my research i've not managed to find any suitable courses so would consider a short-course as an introduction.

I have experience using AutoCAD and SketchUp but would like to develop this further by implementing point cloud software.

Could anyone point me in the right direction of any courses which may be suitable?

Thanks
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Re: Introduction Training Courses in the UK

Post by stutosney »

Hi,

Glad to see you wanting to get into the world of scanning! Personally, I think the best learning is done 'on-the-job'. My background is as a surveyor, which personally I think gave me a good starting place for scanning, as I had experience in surveying large buildings etc already.

As you say, I don't believe there is a laser scanning 'course' per se, but the Survey School have some short courses around Revit and Photogrammetry etc which may be a good starting point:

https://www.surveyschool.org.uk/short-courses/

Also, I think the lines are now blurred between surveying and laser scanning, you don't necessarily have to be a surveyor to do certain types of scanning, but if you're looking at doing high accuracy measured surveys, you should certainly be qualified or have the survey experience.

Good luck.
Ellisium
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mike Ellis
Company Details: Carbon Certification
Company Position Title: Technical Surveyor

Re: Introduction Training Courses in the UK

Post by Ellisium »

That's great information Stuart, thanks.

There are certainly some interesting courses at The Survey School and may be my best starting point to see which route I go down.

The investment can be quite heavy in this area therefore I need to make sure I have a good grounding in the various subject areas before I commit.

I suppose it's like most trades really, job opportunities require experience but in order to gain the experience you need the job opportunity :D

Cheers for the pointers!

Return to “Education & Courses”