matu78
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Matt Towle
Company Details: Lewis Brown Chartered Land Surveyors
Company Position Title: Engineering Laser Scanning Surveyor

Third Party Point Cloud Onselling

Post by matu78 »

We have recently carried out a survey for a local Architect. We used our P40 to capture the raw data to allow us to draw up the elevations and to create a street scene at their request.

Our client asked if our raw data would also pick up the elevations of the buildings on the far side of the street to potentially assess rights to light. We agreed to survey and archive this information as a gesture.

The data took 1.5 days to survey and another 1/2 day to register controlled with a GNSS baseline and total station traverse.

Today, they have emailed me to say that they have appointed ‘Rights to Light Consultants’ and could we forward the point cloud onto them (This was only a few days after the 'survey and archive' request).

We do not normally issue the point cloud, unless it’s specifically requested at the outset by the client. Handing over this valuable data to a third party that is not one of our clients does not make good commercial sense.

I’m after some advice from other members as to how you deal with/sell on this data to third parties. We want to maintain the client relationship but by surrendering the full dataset we will be potentially losing out on drafting work. Its a bit of a balancing act but it will be interesting hear what forum members views are, and whether they have some sort of calculation process to work out an appropriate fee.

Thanks in advance..
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Third Party Point Cloud Onselling

Post by pburrows145 »

If you were using JetStream Enterprise, you could share the data, password protected for a period of time, then amend the password to revoke access when you saw fit. The user would need CloudWorx + a connector to view the file... you can rent these for the end user if needed. Saves you "handing over" the data.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Third Party Point Cloud Onselling

Post by smacl »

matu78 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:33 amWe do not normally issue the point cloud, unless it’s specifically requested at the outset by the client. Handing over this valuable data to a third party that is not one of our clients does not make good commercial sense.
I would have thought that you supply your client with what you agreed to supply them. If this did not include a point cloud and they want a point cloud you amend your price accordingly or simply do not supply.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “Request Help With Projects”