I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Richard Bath
Company Details: Costain
Company Position Title: Grad Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

E57 - Spherical imagery

Post by rb5543 »

Hi,

I'm trying to learn more about the E57 file format. I've found http://www.libe57.org/ very useful.

The issue i have is when exporting an E57 from Scene/Cyclone/cloudcompare the spherical imagery doesn't seem to be exported. Just the colored scan data

I have found this survey on pointscene: https://pointscene.com/scene/5106d29e/? ... ountM=1.50

which is an e57 loaded from http://www.libe57.org/data.html. The up-loader of the e57 states that 'LD3 Studio' was used to merge a ptx and the spherical image into the e57. I've been working with Jonne at pointscene to try and recreate the process but i haven't had much luck.

Upon research i can't find LD3 studio anywhere and it seems to be the only software supporting Spherical imagery. I've found LD3 Studio under many names: K'nowbe, calabiyau

To sum up:
- does anyone have any useful information to learn more about e57?
- has anyone embedded spherical imagery into an e57 file or know where i can download any software that can embed spherical imagery?

Thanks
Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Re: E57 - Spherical imagery

Post by jedfrechette »

rb5543 wrote:The issue i have is when exporting an E57 from Scene/Cyclone/cloudcompare the spherical imagery doesn't seem to be exported. Just the colored scan data.
I've asked for spherical imagery support from the vendors too, without success. What frustrates me, particularly in the case of FARO is that the 'gargage' sample data they provided to the e57 committee 5 years ago included spherical imagery and yet that feature has never made it in to a released version of their software.

Spherical imagery is an important part of many people's workflows and it is disappointing to see such poor support for it from the vendors. The cynic in me wants to say that's because better data portability would cut in to their sales of Webshare/TrueView etc. Perhaps there hasn't been enough customer demand for it though. Personally, I see a lot of value in being able to combine high-resolution photos with lower resolution scans. This becomes more and more true as efficient spherical capture becomes quicker and easier with products like the iStar.
rb5543 wrote:Upon research i can't find LD3 studio anywhere and it seems to be the only software supporting Spherical imagery. I've found LD3 Studio under many names: K'nowbe, calabiyau
I spent some time playing with LD3 Studio back when it was originally being developed by InteliSum. They were working on some interesting things before they got bought out. After that I sort of lost track of it though. I'd be interested to to hear the thoughts of anyone who is using it currently. Stan Colby was the head of development at InteliSum and he, more than anyone else, is to thank for the fact that we have e57 today. This industry owes him a debt of gratitude.
Jed
rb5543
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Richard Bath
Company Details: Costain
Company Position Title: Grad Surveyor

Post by rb5543 »

Thanks for the response.

It's good to know I'm not the only one having issues with this problem.

I imagine even f i did get hold of some software to apply images i don't think it would be a streamlined process.

You're probably right about withholding embedded spherical imagery to ensure their own viewing software is used.
I'll keep going and update if i find anything worth mentioning.

Richard
ryanmiller
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Ryan Miller
Company Details: K and I Architects
Company Position Title: Scanning Technician

Post by ryanmiller »

Richard,

Did you ever find a solution for this? I found that same survey on pointscene and have been trying to replicate it as well.

Thanks,
Ryan

Return to “Request Help With Projects”