I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Craig Lam
Company Details: Optimus
Company Position Title: CAD Tech
Linkedin Profile: No

Scan Quality and WTR

Post by copyclip »

Hi there,

I've recently been trying out Kubit with Plant 3D using pointclouds taken using a Dot Product handheld scanner.
The scans aren't great, and they're only from one side, so Kubit doesn't have the full diameter of pipe to work with. I've loaded the correct KPM objects and taken a cylindrical slice to calibrate WTR, but the function has difficulty finding the line of the pipe and detecting components.

Just wondering if the scan is just too bad, or if there's something I can do to make it work.

Attached is a screenshot of one of the pointclouds I'm trying to work with.

Thanks for any suggestions or help with this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geowac
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stefan Wachsmann
Company Details: scantaxi.de
Company Position Title: supervisor

Re: Scan Quality and WTR

Post by geowac »

Hmm interesting to hear about that! I have the same difficult in other software with the freestyle.
I guess it's because the scans are "unordered" !?

Please keep us informed what Kubit says!

Stefan

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
copyclip
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by copyclip »

geowac wrote:Hmm interesting to hear about that! I have the same difficult in other software with the freestyle.
I guess it's because the scans are "unordered" !?

Please keep us informed what Kubit says!

Stefan

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
Yes, the experience is very different with these scans vs the clean and complete scans provided in the tutorials. Something I've noticed is that it will sense branches and weldolets on straight pipe, probably because of the fuzziness at the edges of the scan.
scott.diaz
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Scott Diaz
Company Details: FARO Technologies
Company Position Title: Business Development

Post by scott.diaz »

Hello Craig, Stefan,

Yes you are right that different scan data will react differently to the default settings. PointSense Plant provides more advanced options for correcting your settings to be more in line with the quality of scan data. This is usually needed when moving from terrestrial to hand scanners.

In addition, the tutorial example is more of a perfect world experience for the first time user. There are many ways to use Walk the Run from automated, semi-automated to manual insertion of objects. These can typically be shown in a demonstration or training. if you would like to reach out to me directly we can also send you a video that will quickly demonstrate these options and how to use them. Our team can also evaluate your data set if you like.
copyclip
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by copyclip »

scott.diaz wrote:Hello Craig, Stefan,

Yes you are right that different scan data will react differently to the default settings. PointSense Plant provides more advanced options for correcting your settings to be more in line with the quality of scan data. This is usually needed when moving from terrestrial to hand scanners.

In addition, the tutorial example is more of a perfect world experience for the first time user. There are many ways to use Walk the Run from automated, semi-automated to manual insertion of objects. These can typically be shown in a demonstration or training. if you would like to reach out to me directly we can also send you a video that will quickly demonstrate these options and how to use them. Our team can also evaluate your data set if you like.
That would be very helpful, Scott: both the video and the data evaluation. What's the best way to reach you, or should it simply be sent on to the Kubit/Faro support email?
scott.diaz
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Scott Diaz
Company Details: FARO Technologies
Company Position Title: Business Development

Post by scott.diaz »

Hi All,

Got a bit busy for a few days but yes, you can contact me directly through my profile on the forum. If this is not possible then just write an email to [email protected] and mention that Scott Diaz was going to send you some videos. We will make sure you get some more detailed information.

Return to “FARO As-Built”