I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Maxime DEVOS
Company Details: 3C Metal Middle East
Company Position Title: Calculation Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

FARO Scene 5.5 - Delete points issue

Post by Maxime D »

Hello Laser Scanning Forum,

I think I need your help and knowledge on a problem I don't understand.

I'm actually using SCENE v5.5. In a scan project I've done, which was inside a closed room, an object of interest has been moved as it was not in its correct location at first. This move has been done in the middle of my scan project, which means that if I merge my complete project in once on SCENE, I will obtain "two" times the same object in two different locations. I want to delete the first incorrect one and keep the second one. I can't use the polygon selector as it will also select and delete points which are "behind" the undesired object. If I turn my complete project to a Project Point Cloud, I can't use the clipping boxes as a part of the first undesired object is overlapping the good one. Clipping boxes would delete all the points in them, including the correct ones. My idea was to process the first scans with the object in the incorrect position as a first separated project, turn it into a Project Point Cloud and delete the object in the incorrect location using clipping boxes. Then in a second step I would have post-processed the scans with the object in the correct location as a second separated project, then merged the two projects together to retrieve my final project, with the incorrect position deleted and the good one kept. The problem is that when I try to do that, the incorrect object remains. I think this is coming from the fact that the undesired points have been deleted from the Project Point Cloud, and not the Scans Point Cloud, but I don't really understand how to proceed...

Can you please help me on this matter ? I hope my explanations are not too much confused.

Thanks in advance to all ! :)
tsjerkdezwart
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Tsjerk de Zwart
Company Details: 3DX3
Company Position Title: owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: FARO Scene 5.5 - Delete points issue

Post by tsjerkdezwart »

Maxime D wrote:Hello Laser Scanning Forum,
I can't use the polygon selector as it will also select and delete points which are "behind" the undesired object.
Maxime, are you performing this in 3d view?
If you load the scan with the wrong positioned part in the quick view, you can select the part and cut it out. In the quick view you see the scanned area from the scanner position, therefore you will not suffer from deleting parts behind the selected object.
sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by sreed »

We have found an effective method of doing this is to use the polygon selector (yellow) in the planar view to select the offending points. Don't delete them - instead context right click and choose "View in 3D". Then in this 3D view, you can use the polygon selector (yellow, since the scan is loaded) to cut out the bad points without fear of inadvertent clipping of good points.

You can either unload the scan to make the changes permanent (forces what looks like Scene crash, but usually doesn't) or you can just save the project (forcing another revision). I like to perform this routine on a handful of scans and then save, limiting the number of saved revisions.

Did I understand your question correctly?
Maxime D
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Maxime DEVOS
Company Details: 3C Metal Middle East
Company Position Title: Calculation Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Maxime D »

Hello,

Thanks to both of you for your answers. It helped me a lot.
Indeed, I was trying to do this operation with the polygonal selector in the 3D view. I was not aware of this feature in the planar view and I realize how effective it can be.

Thanks again for the trick. :)

Return to “FARO As-Built”