V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Green
Company Details: Green Forensics-Azure Green Consultants
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: brian.green.forensics
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Thread for SCENE software additions/enhancements

Post by brianpgreen »

I'd like to be able to re-size the scan manager window.
WWilford
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Warren Wilford
Company Details: Berkshire Dimensions
Company Position Title: owner

Post by WWilford »

+1 for controlling the density of the point cloud when exporting.
zoltan
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Zoltan Ferenczy
Company Details: ClearEdge3D
Company Position Title: Industry Strategist

Post by zoltan »

An ability to crop or delete scan points without loading the scan.

Most operations (Apply Pictures, Create Scan Point Clouds, etc.) can be performed on a scan or a folder of scans that are not currently loaded. Each scan is, in succession, loaded into memory, then the operation is performed, the scan is saved, and then unloaded before moving on to the next scan. This allows operations to be performed on many more scans than could fit into memory all at once.

There is a typical workflow that involves cropping all of the scans in a project to an area of scope or deleting a large area of unwanted points. Currently, this can only be done with all of the scans loaded into memory which severely limits the number of scan on which this operation can occur.

The way this should work is as follows. In a 3D view of scans that are not loaded (visible as Scan Point Clouds), a selection is made. Right clicking allows for the deletion of points inside or outside of the selection. Each scan is, in succession, loaded into memory, the points inside or outside of the selection are deleted, the Scan Point Cloud is rebuilt, and the scan is unloaded before moving on the next scan.

I know it is possible to delete and crop points of the Scan Point Clouds, or Project Point Cloud using the Point Cloud Selector, but this does not solve the problem of needing to delete the points from the scans before they are exported or further processed.
zoltan
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by zoltan »

WWilford wrote:+1 for controlling the density of the point cloud when exporting.
Here is an unauthorized, back-door way of doing this:
http://www.laserscanningforum.com/forum ... =54&t=6850

But, as I think it has been mentioned before, this should just simply be a slider of numeric input field in the "Project Point Cloud / Scan Point Cloud Sett..." dialog box, under the "Homogenize Point Density" toggle.
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jcoco3 »

Zoltan, just for kicks, take a look at Scenect's "Homogenize Point Density"...don't bother trying to process Focus scans there, I already tried and failed.

We use your trick on every project now :P
Dedken
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Kenneth Bazley
Company Details: Sir Robert McAlpine
Company Position Title: Senior Geospatial Engineer for HDS

Post by Dedken »

Here's one I just thought of as I'm currently having to do it!

As one who applies colour at the end before final checks and export, how about Scene rebuilds your scan point clouds automatically post-colourisation rather than having to do it manually. After all, it now does this after loading and filtering options, so why not after colouring?
All views are my own and are not representative of my employer, The King, God or anyone else for that matter.

"we need an instrument, to take a measurement" - I.MacKaye 1992
flohrd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Flohr
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: VP of Software Engineering
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by flohrd »

zoltan wrote:An ability to crop or delete scan points without loading the scan.

The way this should work is as follows. In a 3D view of scans that are not loaded (visible as Scan Point Clouds), a selection is made. Right clicking allows for the deletion of points inside or outside of the selection. Each scan is, in succession, loaded into memory, the points inside or outside of the selection are deleted, the Scan Point Cloud is rebuilt, and the scan is unloaded before moving on the next scan.
This is exactly how it works today...
Open a view on a cluster with scan point clouds, don't load any scans manually, select points, delete them (right click in view->Current Selection->Delete). Once you save your project, the changes will be applied to the original scans (e.g you can see the points are deleted in planar view...) and the scan point clouds will be rebuild automatically. What are you missing exactly?
sealund
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Erik Hagestrand
Company Details: Bjerking AB
Company Position Title: Surveyor - Laserscan technician

Post by sealund »

flohrd wrote:What are you missing exactly?
Delete outside or invert selection would be VERY nice when working with Scan Points clouds, to get rid of the "noise sphere" 300+ meters from the scannerlocation when working with outdoor scans. Or add distance filter to the preprocess menu so you can batch distance filter instead of doing one by one Scans...!
zoltan
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by zoltan »

flohrd wrote: What are you missing exactly?
Oh, I see. You are using the Point Cloud Polygon Selector instead of the Polygon Selector - a confusing discrepancy. I did not know that deleting Point Cloud points were applied back to the scans. Does it work with Project Point Clouds as well as Scan Point Clouds?

Also, as it had been said, deleting the points outside the selection, or inverting the selection would be best for cropping the entire project to the area of scope and ensuring that the stray points are deleted.
brianpgreen
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Green
Company Details: Green Forensics-Azure Green Consultants
Skype Name: brian.green.forensics

Post by brianpgreen »

A couple more:

I'd like the ability to select a group of spheres, scans or references in the 3d view or structure view and perform bulk actions on the selected group. For example "Ignore for Place Scans" Currently the only way I know of to get to this command is by right clicking on sphere selecting properties then the general tab, etc. This makes for many clicks when you have a target that is identified in multiple scans that you want to be ignored during registration.

Something I saw while learning to use Pix 4d. They have the ability to designate targets as check shots that are used in a report to assess the accuracy of the project. I'd like the same thing in scene. It would be nice to be able to put out an extra target every so often that isn't used during the registration but is used to compare the accuracy of the registration. Pix 4d has some great reports using this process of targets and check targets.

Return to “FARO SCENE”