I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jón Bergmann Heimisson
Company Details: Punktaský ehf
Company Position Title: CEO
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Create a reduced/subsampled scan with original panorama quality

Post by JonBergmann »

Hi
Is there some way to reduce the number of points in a scan without reducing the quality of the panorama image?
What I need/want are scans with good quality panorama images but greatly reduced number of scan points.

What I have tried so far:
a) Export fls from Scene into Recap -> Deciminate in Recap -> Export scan as E57 from Recap = The exported E57 is not reduced, still original size.
b) Create a new 2:1 or 4:1 scan in Scene -> Export = Panorama image quality reduced.

I am just not figuring a way to do this.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Create a reduced/subsampled scan with original panorama quality

Post by badam »

JonBergmann wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:57 am Hi
Is there some way to reduce the number of points in a scan without reducing the quality of the panorama image?
What I need/want are scans with good quality panorama images but greatly reduced number of scan points.

What I have tried so far:
a) Export fls from Scene into Recap -> Deciminate in Recap -> Export scan as E57 from Recap = The exported E57 is not reduced, still original size.
b) Create a new 2:1 or 4:1 scan in Scene -> Export = Panorama image quality reduced.

I am just not figuring a way to do this.
I'm just curious, what is your main goal, what is your end deliverable which you want to give to your client?
Because what you do currently is kinda mess.
I suppose your registration software is scene. And why do you export panorama image from scene after recap export and reimport to scene?
JonBergmann
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by JonBergmann »

badam wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:08 pm
I'm just curious, what is your main goal, what is your end deliverable which you want to give to your client?
I suppose your registration software is scene. And why do you export panorama image from scene after recap export and reimport to scene?
- The main goal is to get a file/scans of a much smaller size and import into another program, cloud based, where the point cloud is of secondary importance and the panorama images are the main focus. The panorama images are for viewing mainly and the point cloud is secondary. This is not for a specific client, this is mainly for me to see if this is possible.
- I don't see why this a mess.
- My registration software is Scene, and I am not importing it back into Scene, I am importing it into another unrelated software.

Hope this explains something :)
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

JonBergmann wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:22 pm
badam wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:08 pm
- The main goal is to get a file/scans of a much smaller size and import into another program, cloud based, where the point cloud is of secondary importance and the panorama images are the main focus. The panorama images are for viewing mainly and the point cloud is secondary. This is not for a specific client, this is mainly for me to see if this is possible.
- I don't see why this a mess.
- My registration software is Scene, and I am not importing it back into Scene, I am importing it into another unrelated software.

Hope this explains something :)
why do you need the intermediate recap? i've not seen scene but in like 5 sec google search gave me the answare there is a possibility to subsample during export from scene... even on structured (ordered) setups which i suppose you require for the cloud based solution. set high row/col count in the export and export e57 from there.

https://knowledge.faro.com/Software/FAR ... s_in_SCENE
JonBergmann
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by JonBergmann »

I know that it is possible to subsample the point cloud. But it does not export the panorama images.
I would consider myself a decent user when it comes to Faro Scene and I have tried a lot of different methods none of them export the panorama images in a decent resolution.

First of all, Faro Scene does not export the panorama images into E57 the same way Recap does when it comes to panorama images, Faro Scene creates the panorama image from the point cloud itself while Recap actually uses the photos and produces much better results. The Faro Scene panorama images are unusable when exported from E57, therefore I am forced to export to FLS to Recap and Recap to export to E57.

Creating a subsampled point cloud is no problem, there are multiple ways to do that, but keeping the original resolution and quality of the panorama images is a different matter. And I have not found a way to do that.

tl;dr
Exporting a reduced scan from Scene to E57, reduces the scan resolution but also renders the panorama image useless because of quality. Recap uses photos for E57 panorama export.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

JonBergmann wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:01 pm I know that it is possible to subsample the point cloud. But it does not export the panorama images.
I would consider myself a decent user when it comes to Faro Scene and I have tried a lot of different methods none of them export the panorama images in a decent resolution.

First of all, Faro Scene does not export the panorama images into E57 the same way Recap does when it comes to panorama images, Faro Scene creates the panorama image from the point cloud itself while Recap actually uses the photos and produces much better results. The Faro Scene panorama images are unusable when exported from E57, therefore I am forced to export to FLS to Recap and Recap to export to E57.

Creating a subsampled point cloud is no problem, there are multiple ways to do that, but keeping the original resolution and quality of the panorama images is a different matter. And I have not found a way to do that.

tl;dr
Exporting a reduced scan from Scene to E57, reduces the scan resolution but also renders the panorama image useless because of quality. Recap uses photos for E57 panorama export.
that is new for me that recap uses images to export panorama in e57, i haven't used recap since 2018. we working with leica equipments. that is somewhat good to hear.

in that case i can't help you with that. unless you try to add the images with libe57 library and some programming. maybe you can write a program to add the 2d images or images from exported scene to add the subsampled exported e57-s. Or ask your cloud point cloud provider support to be able to add images later with tha same name. I think if they want to give users better visualisation they will do that, or they already have something like that.
MaZschi
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Marc Zschieschang
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH
Company Position Title: Product Manager - Software

Post by MaZschi »

JonBergmann wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:01 pm I know that it is possible to subsample the point cloud. But it does not export the panorama images.

tl;dr
Which SCENE version do you use? I looked up the Version 2021.4 and in the E57 export for structured scans you have the subsample function and the several options to export the panorama images (also in full resolution). If you are using an older SCENE version maybe it is worth to try with the latest one.
Marc Zschieschang
Product Markting Manager - Software
FARO Technologies, Inc.
[email protected]
JonBergmann
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by JonBergmann »

MaZschi wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:52 pm

tl;dr
Which SCENE version do you use? I looked up the Version 2021.4 and in the E57 export for structured scans you have the subsample function and the several options to export the panorama images (also in full resolution). If you are using an older SCENE version maybe it is worth to try with the latest one.
I have the newest version of Scene. I had high hopes when I saw this option in the changelog and updated to 2021 because I have been waiting for this feature for some time. I tried every possible combination of settings to see if there was any improvement from Scene 2020 E57, but I could not see it. Scene still exports the panorama image as a significantly worse panorama image generated from the point cloud instead of the actual real looking panorama image from the camera.

None of these new options export the panorama images from the camera, all of them export the point cloud generated panorama image, not the actual panorama photo.
MaZschi
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Marc Zschieschang
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH
Company Position Title: Product Manager - Software

Post by MaZschi »

Hello,

I tried the export from SCENE with the several options and opened the resulting E57 in Cloud Compare which gives you a excellent overview on the file structure. All the expected data is contained in the file (subsampled point cloud, the 84 single images of the scanner and the stiched+compensated panorama images + poses). I haven't tried yet the import into Recap but I assume that Recap is ignoring the images contained in the E57 file and just uses the colorized point cloud to create the bubble views. Have you tried to open the E57 file in any other software?

Feel free to contact me directly via email so we can investigate the situation deeper and find a possible solution: [email protected]
Marc Zschieschang
Product Markting Manager - Software
FARO Technologies, Inc.
[email protected]
JonBergmann
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by JonBergmann »

MaZschi wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:16 am Hello,

I tried the export from SCENE with the several options and opened the resulting E57 in Cloud Compare which gives you a excellent overview on the file structure. All the expected data is contained in the file (subsampled point cloud, the 84 single images of the scanner and the stiched+compensated panorama images + poses). I haven't tried yet the import into Recap but I assume that Recap is ignoring the images contained in the E57 file and just uses the colorized point cloud to create the bubble views. Have you tried to open the E57 file in any other software?

Feel free to contact me directly via email so we can investigate the situation deeper and find a possible solution: [email protected]
Thanks for that Marc
I have not tried opening the exported files in CloudCompare, but I have tried to import the E57 back into Scene again and that seems to render the same results for example, the panorama image is not the same as the original.
I will contact you directly also.

Return to “FARO SCENE”