Cluster workflow

Discuss all FARO SCENE related software issues here.
charlesdab
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Charles
Company Details: DFC
Company Position Title: Principal
Linkedin Profile: No

Cluster workflow

Post by charlesdab »

Hi All! New to scene with a workflow question on registering clusters to eachother.

I'm trying to capture all the building systems above a drop ceiling. In order to accomplish this I've taken a series of scans in a hallway at ground level and the data looks great. I've put them all into one cluster named "Hallway".

Next, at every point I'm scanning in the drop ceiling I put my S70 on a tripod on a scissor lift, took one scan below the ceiling (to link to the ground cluster) one at the ceiling threshold, and one above the ceiling. I was able to link these three aerial scans at each position into a cluster called LiftPositionX.

Now, I need to link all my lift position clusters to my hallway cluster, but I am finding I'm getting some inaccuracy. I think it's because the lift was swaying a little. So what I am thinking is I need to find a way to register each lift cluster to the good Hallway cluster. But when I add them all together it looks like it's averaging the data from each lift cluster at once.

Is there a way to basically just register one cluster with another cluster? Basically I just want to c2c from the Hallway to each LiftCluster.

Any workflow tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Least
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Patrick
Company Details: 360
Company Position Title: Director

Re: Cluster workflow

Post by Least »

Are you locking the clusters before the c2c?
Also, I think, make the hallway cluster the reference cluster.

charlesdab
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by charlesdab »

Thanks, I'm totally knew to this.

1. When you say lock the hallway cluster you mean go to Hallway > Scan Manager and "lock all"? This just prevents these scans from being moved?
2. How do you assign a "reference cluster"?

Least
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Patrick
Company Details: 360
Company Position Title: Director

Post by Least »

1. When you say lock the hallway cluster you mean go to Hallway > Scan Manager and "lock all"? This just prevents these scans from being moved?

It locks the group of scans within the cluster, so their relationship to each other 'within' the cluster does not change.
Then carry out a c2c on the clusters.

2. How do you assign a "reference cluster"? see pdf link below

https://knowledge.faro.com/Software/FAR ... _SCENE_4-5

https://faro.box.com/shared/static/xewn ... aqqxus.pdf

charlesdab
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by charlesdab »

Thanks for this Least! It confirms that I was trying the right things... However, it's painfully slow. I thought locking these clusters and registering them against the reference cluster would functionally treat each cluster like one scan, so I was expecting registration times similar to N scans. However, the registration time is extremely long... only 7% in the last twelve hours. I feel like there is a missing piece to this puzzle.

landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

charlesdab wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:00 pm
Thanks for this Least! It confirms that I was trying the right things... However, it's painfully slow. I thought locking these clusters and registering them against the reference cluster would functionally treat each cluster like one scan, so I was expecting registration times similar to N scans. However, the registration time is extremely long... only 7% in the last twelve hours. I feel like there is a missing piece to this puzzle.
Unload all your scans. This may cause this.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]

Return to “FARO SCENE”