I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Elliot
Company Details: Company
Company Position Title: Piping Designer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Cluster Orientation Error

Post by SceneKraken »

Hi,

I have a SCENE project of about 50 scans which I have clustered into 4 clusters. I have managed to get the individual clusters working fine but when I go to register the 4 clusters together the scans inside the 4 clusters seem to rotate. So, when I click on a cluster in the overall correspondence view, the orbit sphere is not correctly aligned with the scans inside the cluster.

This makes it difficult to manually move the clusters or even understand what position they are in when trying to fix any issues. I have ensured that all the sub-clusters are locked before attempting to register them all together so I am really puzzled as to why this is happening?

Please see image attached for an example.

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Re: Cluster Orientation Error

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Hi!
Common issue caused by not using the inclinometer in the registration. Put that cluster in another cluster. Make sure all scan managers are locked within that cluster. Do a target based registration of the cluster with inclinometer selected in the general tab. Since you are doing this on only 1 cluster it will be instant.

Your cluster should be working normally now.

-LR
SceneKraken
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Elliot
Company Details: Company
Company Position Title: Piping Designer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by SceneKraken »

Hi thanks for the reply.

I turned on the inclinometer and updated the scans but they are still off on the individual clusters and therefore in the larger cluster as well.

I have tried re-registering in different clusters and aligning them to a ceiling plane and running the inclinometer. While this fixes them for the individual clusters as soon as I try to register the clusters together they go all wonky again.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Cheers
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

There is probably something you are doing wrong, I can't be next to you and see how you are doing this or go in dept with the scans you did. However here is the fix for that one cluster of yours, I recreated your bug to show you my fix;

https://youtu.be/tYDrMpBldEg

ps; dont worry about the red scan manager, I had to play arround with a finished project to show you the fix lol
Raimund58
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Raimund Klink
Company Details: IHM engineering GmbH
Company Position Title: 3d scanning guy
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Raimund58 »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:03 pm There is probably something you are doing wrong, I can't be next to you and see how you are doing this or go in dept with the scans you did. However here is the fix for that one cluster of yours, I recreated your bug to show you my fix;

https://youtu.be/tYDrMpBldEg

ps; dont worry about the red scan manager, I had to play arround with a finished project to show you the fix lol
It is really great that you made a video about it but it is really difficult to see something on my "only" full hd desktop.
Just for your info :)
Btw. the resolution FARO recommended for Scene is full hd
\o/
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Hi Raimund58,

Sorry, my bad for posting in 3440x1440, I didnt quite have the options at hand. I understand the recommended resolution, there is a bug when you try to drag and drop from up in the tree to all the way down, but there is a workaround to this. Hence not a big headache compared to the benefits. I upgraded to a ultrawide for reasons like; viewing 2 scans in the split correspondance view, working in revit, autocad, and edgewise needed it as well.

As for the video, if you really need the fix throw it on your tv maybe?

In short :
1) create a new cluster at the same level as the bugged cluster
2) drag and drop bugged cluster in the new cluster
3) right click the new cluster and do a targetbased registration with inclinometer on

Can't say this trick doesnt work. Look at the video ;)

-LR

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Return to “FARO SCENE”