V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Onsite Regestration w FARO S350

Post by LPaulCook »

If you use the FARO S350 for onsite registration how is that working for you?

I have used my X330 for 5 years now and know how to scan building etc. I generally but not always use targets.

I bought the S350 primarily for the ability to do automatic onsite registration of building interiors but so far it is not working for me... I connect okay and the first few scans come in correctly and register correctly but after about 10 scans they start coming in 90° off. I get plenty of overlap. I do a fill in scan(s) and re-register but nothing changes, it stays off 90°.

Later I try a standard top down, cloud to cloud registration the old way but it fails. The only option left then is manual registration....

Is it me, the scanner or the software?

Thanks for your input!
Paul
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
Simon Judd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: simon judd
Company Details: Precision Air Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: Onsite Regestration w FARO S350

Post by Simon Judd »

Paul

Whilst we do not use on site registration (currently not using S series Scanners) I recently gave the onsite registration app a thorough workout in our office.

Scanning from our front door i then proceeded to scan our ground first and second floors including stairwell, then out of a window (small envelope to see some adjacent buildings) around the building and back in the front door, all in a single session and all with on-site registration.

Whilst it did fail at some key points, after adding some tie in scans the app jumped back into life and managed to glue together a reasonable registration even with the difficult out of the window condition.

typically the app was 1 scan behind in terms of data transfer while i was inside the building and 2-3 when outside. However 10 mins after finishing my last scan (approx 40 scans) the data was transferred and with a final addition of target coordinates in the office the project was complete.

Whilst I am not recommending that this process is what you would actually do on site, in the real world, and was only a test of the apps capabilities, i can say that it performed pretty well given the tough conditions i bestowed upon the software.

I am not sure how you tried to resolve the incorrect scan but When a scan failed for me i removed it from the registration added a tie in scan that did work and then reprocessed the failed scan before moving on, so that might be a solution to try (apologies if you have already).

If you are looking to use the group scan function of the scanner this will not work in the on-site registration app but can be incorporated in the workflow with a little thought.

Whilst it hasn't actually answered your question i can say that it all worked ok in this testing environment and i am sure you will get the solution to work.

Simon
sheartab
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Sheartab
Company Details: Arch Eng Design Firm
Company Position Title: BIM Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sheartab »

I have experienced the same short comings with my S150. I have circumvented this by purchasing a 2nd memory card and a laptop cart with wheels. Now I 'on-site register' by literally registering with SCENE directly on my laptop. I'll scan +/- 20 setups then swap the cards out. This works great as long as I'm indoors on a good surface. I was able to get their on-site registration to work, but it just seemed to take much longer than my traditional workflow. Plus this keeps me busy while on site.

Cheers!
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

I have no experience with onsite registration with a faro. I have with a riegl and this works as long as you're outside or inside with a specific logical path.

I use this feature sometimes with 20 or so scans, not with 300. It drains the battery.

As with a faro (i also have a tx5), i'm going to load everything on a laptop when finished and driving of to the office in the future. You can save, preproces and maybe do a topview registration whilst on the go. Just keep scanning without distractions of a tablet etc, hen you have a problem it is more likely to be easy fixed at the office then to fiddle on a tablet and get frustrated with it.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
LHardin
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: LYLE K HARDIN
Company Details: CDG Engineers
Company Position Title: Manager of Design Technologies

Post by LHardin »

We've [usually] had good luck with our S150 and on site registrations when the conditions are good. I admit I don't know what to do when the on site registration fails after several scans. I typically just say 'oh well', scrap the on site reg, and do it the old way back in the office.
The other day the on site scanning was working GREAT, but I had to swap batteries on the scanner and it all came to a screeching halt. After I fired the scanner back up, I had control of the scanner from the lap top, but the registration never started back up and all the previously registered scans (about 20 of them) were declared to be in an "unknown" status.
Does anyone know how to continue on site registration after swapping scanner batteries?
Thankfully, all 40 scans registered perfectly the next day in the office once I started automatic registration. I was kinda bummed that the on site registration quit after changing the batteries.
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

I'm not sure why but I haven't been convinced enough to really push on-site registration for every job I have done. I find it slows me down and on larger projects, I still need to organize and do the final registration checks in Scene.

I know this can all be done in the On-Site registration app but since I've lived without it for so long, I don't really see how it will help me personally. I do see how it can help some newer folks and give people confidence that their scans are coming together but if I am on a busy street with traffic or people around, I want to keep my focus on scanning.

I am ready to be convinced otherwise...
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Post by TommyMaddox »

For more complicated projects where more manual registration control or organization is desired, you can always turn the actual registration portion off in the OSR settings and just use it as "On-Site Processing". This still saves an enormous amount of office/back end time vs just scanning to the SD card.
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

Good point Tommy.
Slewis33
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Shaun Lewis
Company Details: Clark Construciton
Company Position Title: Senior Manager - Reality Capture

Post by Slewis33 »

We got mixed results with on site registration. Our main finding is if the task is over 20 setups don't bother unless your office is the same location of scanning. The on-site registration plays catch up as your going and with decent resolution settings it simply takes too long. Not to mention you have to carry a laptop around. So for small tasks it could be beneficial, personally I'm not a huge fan but I know there are people out there making it work.

That was our good result. Our bad result was it just didn't work...at the FARO building during FARO official training with the FARO trainer.
Jfout
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: John Fout
Company Details: Russell Construction
Company Position Title: Russell Construction

Post by Jfout »

have tried it with the s70 a few times. less than exciting results at a decent resolution. big problem i run into is the battery drain on the scanner. the on site registration works good for a few scans but it failed on a couple of really obvious scans that were less than 10ft apart and seeing all of the same "targets". Faro still has some work to do for sure. in ten years i am sure we will reach this..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed4kd23xTGE
John Fout
VDC Manager
Russell

modeling/animation/scanning/drones. the four pillars of life. :ugeek:

Return to “FARO SCENE”