Scene Licensing Question

Discuss all FARO SCENE related software issues here.
[email protected]
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: David Prangnell
Company Details: Horizon Measurement Solutions
Company Position Title: Technology Consultant
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Scene Licensing Question

Post by [email protected] » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi All,

Hoping for some basic Scene licensing information if anyone can help us out.

We are looking at a used Faro scanner that is several years old and has a purple license USB key for Scene. The license has been expired for several years

Other software I've used with a USB license key would allow you to run a version of the software that was released up to the license expiry. For example version 1.1 came out when your license was current you get to run it, if 1.2 comes out after your expiry date you don't qualify without an upgrade

Does Scene work the same way? Or are we going to have to purchase a software upgrade just to run Scene?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

gordonired
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Gordon
Company Details: IRED
Company Position Title: Support Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Scene Licensing Question

Post by gordonired » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:15 pm

If you want to run the newest version of Scene, they will require you to upgrade. You keep the dongle I believe, they just patch it. We have a couple of those old purple dongles, and the version of Scene they allowed was very, very specific. We used 5.3.XXX, and when we looked into using 5.4 or 5.5, it would not allow it. Faro was kind enough to upgrade us to the last version of 5 for free, but if we wanted 6 (at that time), we would have to pay the upgrading fee. At this point I'm afraid we are so far behind on maintenance, I'd be afraid to ask how much Faro would want.

If you are buying it second hand, ensure that you have the proper install files, or know what version of Scene is tied to that dongle and check if you can download it from Faro.

Return to “FARO SCENE”