Does SCENE allow same features in AutoCAD as ReCAP?

Discuss FARO SCENE software here.
LHardin
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: LYLE K HARDIN
Company Details: CDG Engineers
Company Position Title: Manager of Design Technologies
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Does SCENE allow same features in AutoCAD as ReCAP?

Post by LHardin »

We are looking to purchase a Faro scanner. I'm contemplating getting SCENE with it even though we now use ReCAP. We've used ReCAP instead of SCENE for about 2 years now because we like the features it provides in AutoCAD such as being able to find a centerline of a cylinder and the intersecting edge or corners of planes.

Two questions:
1. I'm wondering if processing the scans in the newer SCENE software allows these features in AutocAD. Does anyone know? It didn't a couple years ago.
2. Does the ReCAP file still allow importing of Navisworks files if it's been processed in SCENE first? This has been a great feature we use a lot!

From what I read on the forums, it sounds like SCENE is superior to ReCAP for registration accuracy and that is important to us as well.
For what it's worth, most of our scans consist of 20 to 60 setups.
Ryan
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ryan Frenz
Company Details: Autodesk
Company Position Title: Engineering Manager - ReCap
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Does SCENE allow same features in AutoCAD as ReCAP?

Post by Ryan »

Hi Lyle,

See my post in the other thread:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11968&start=20#p65740

In short, you can register wherever you want, just make sure to bring the data into ReCap Pro in a supported 'structured' format. FLS and LSPROJ are both structured, so SCENE is quite compatible. You'll get all the same features you have when bringing the FLS straight in from the scanner, including Navis integration, meshing, etc.

I'm not aware of the AutoCAD issue you refer to in #1 - but as far as I know, all of AutoCAD's point cloud snapping/centerline features are available in projects created from FLS (registered anywhere). That's always been the case - although there was a minor issue in 2017 wherein certain unified exports wouldn't snap correctly in AutoCAD. But that bug has been long since fixed.

-Ryan

Return to “FARO SCENE”