I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Tori Wilkinson
Company Details: Wessex Archaeology
Company Position Title: Geomatics Technical Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Scene workflow question - applying GPS to scans

Post by vjDub »

I need some help please with a processing workflow in Scene - I thought I knew how this should work but it's not happening, so clearly there's something I'm doing wrong!

I have six scans, and for each scan position have mounted our GPS receiver on top of the scanner. The scans are quite far apart but will register together using points and planes in the Freestyle menu, and we aren't looking for particularly tight accuracies for this exercise. I had thought that the GPS would give each scan its position, and that the registration would give each scan its rotation, but it doesn't seem to be working...

I have tried first registering the scans then applying the GPS coordinates to each scan, but the rotation of every scan changes when I do that. I have tried first applying the coordinates then registering the scans, but when I run the scan manager all the scan positions change, other than that of the reference scan, and all adopt a new rotation relative to the reference scan. I tried setting the rotation to zero but that made a spectacular mess!

I am very familiar with target-based registration but haven't done much with scan-to-scan or top view based, which might be what I need...? I'm a bit lost :?

TIA
Simon Judd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: simon judd
Company Details: Precision Air Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: Scene workflow question - applying GPS to scans

Post by Simon Judd »

Tori

If you can register the scans together in a cluster.

Have you tried to create a reference file of the Scan locations then under tools options place settings "use correspondences for scan positions".

This allows scene to register scan locations to reference points either locally in your cluster or to global reference file, dont forget Blank reference file if you want to check the tensions against the control

Simon
vjDub
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Tori Wilkinson
Company Details: Wessex Archaeology
Company Position Title: Geomatics Technical Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Scene workflow question - applying GPS to scans

Post by vjDub »

Aha yes that did it. I knew it must be something simple I was missing...

In case it helps anyone else, I also found that as it was an urban site and the gps wasn't brilliant in some areas (but good enough for this particular purpose) it worked for some clusters and not others. However when I renamed the control points to match the scan names and also forced "by manual target names" it worked. Thanks!

Return to “FARO SCENE”