I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Iva Rajchevska
Company Details: Politecnico di Milano
Company Position Title: student

Alignment correction

Post by Iva Rae »

Hello everyone:)
It is my first post in this Forum that proved to be extremely helpful in my journey with Faro Scene and I really hope you will be able to help me now.
Basically I am very new with Faro scene and working with point clouds and it is my first time using the program.
The story is I am an architecture student that Is currently working on my master thesis which is a preservation project on two conjoined riads in Morocco.
The laser scanning of the buildings was done by a company in Morocco as well as the registration process.
The model is from two conjoined buildings with two floors and a roof terrace and it has 183 scans and 4 main clusters ( 1st Floor, 2nd Floor, Rooftop 1 and Rooftop 2)
So I started from scan point clouds that I additionally cleaned and filtered in order to create a Project point cloud which I will be needing for exporting Orthophotos that are extremely important for my work.
After cleaning the project and creating the PPC model is where the problem occurred or more precisely where the problem was visible.
The 1st and 2nd Floor are nor correctly aligned even though they are correctly registered.
This is clearly visible in the images I will attach.
When I worked with the Scan point cloud in the process of cleaning the project this problem was not visible but after I created the PPC I could clearly see that the two floors are not in alignment.
Points from the second floor that are scanned from the first floor ( because of the inner courtyard existing in both of the buildings)
Are tilted and come before the points of the 2nd Floor making an unclear and blurred image. ( attached image )
I was thinking that if the clusters were correctly aligned when creating a PPC the duplicate points will be erased but unfortunately this wasn’t my case since I guess the nonalignment
of the floors was significant.
Any suggestion would be more than welcome since at this point I honestly don’t know how to solve the problem without having to register the scans from scratch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Alignment correction

Post by TommyMaddox »

If you have a misalignment you need to re-register those scans and delete and recreate the PPC if that is your deliverable.

Do not proceed to deliverables/exports if you have any misalignments or registration issues. Also consider doing control alignment or squaring up the pointcloud prior to export to make it easier for drafting/floor plan/visualization work later.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Break those clusters. That is your issue. Your error is not spreading when locking floors together. I would put everything on the same cluster as much as possible
Emanuele
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Emanuele Ferrari
Company Details: Studio FERRARI
Company Position Title: Titolare

Post by Emanuele »

Before redoing the clusters I would try to do a manual alignment in order to overlap quite correctly; after which I would do c2c with low subsampling and search range of 10 / 20cm
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Post by TommyMaddox »

I spent a good twenty minutes writing up a full post about how I would reorganize the project registration hierarchy to produce the results you're looking for. Unfortunately the forum signed me out during that process and the submit button once again took me straight to the sign in window, which results in my writeup on C2C registration strategy for your situation being deleted.

That issue is probably my least favorite thing about this platform, I have to do any writeup longer than a few sentences in a different program and paste it in.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

This happens often to me too.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

TommyMaddox wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:15 pm I spent a good twenty minutes writing up a full post about how I would reorganize the project registration hierarchy to produce the results you're looking for. Unfortunately the forum signed me out during that process and the submit button once again took me straight to the sign in window, which results in my writeup on C2C registration strategy for your situation being deleted.

That issue is probably my least favorite thing about this platform, I have to do any writeup longer than a few sentences in a different program and paste it in.
Happened to me just this morning, I agree. Either that or keep saving drafts and then go back and reload... :x
Justin Richards
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: JUSTIN RICHARDS
Company Details: Tribrach Solutions
Company Position Title: Survey Tech
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Justin Richards »

Do manual registration selecting planes where you have issues then go back and automatically register it again cloud to cloud. If you don't have enough planes to manual register all of them or just want to save time go through the list if scans and just break the issues up into clusters and register those clusters.

https://learn.faro.com/login/index.php

Return to “FARO SCENE”