Merging multiple projects and survey control in Scene 7.1

Discuss all FARO SCENE related software issues here.
jmonell
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: John Monell
Company Details: Barron and Associates PC
Company Position Title: Managing Partner - Geospatial Sciences
Skype Name: jmonelll
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Merging multiple projects and survey control in Scene 7.1

Post by jmonell » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Greetings. I have a project that grew in 18 months from just a few rooms to the entire facility. I have 15 projects consisting of ~400 scans. Some of the larger projects consist of multiple clusters. I'm now in the process of merging these smaller projects, but I'm running into problems with registration. I'm using the correspondence split view to align the projects, but when I update the registration my multi-cluster projects break apart and the clusters stack up on each other. I've done this before, and i seem to remember a left-mouse or right-mouse trick that seemed to help.

The second part is migrating the cloud to a state plane coordinate system. I have control on the exterior shots. Should I move the project after all the projects are registered? Export the completed pointcloud and use a different application to move the cloud? I've noticed my tolerances increase when I import survey control, trying to keep everything as accurate as possible.

Thanks-
John

Raimund58
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Raimund Klink
Company Details: IHM engineering GmbH
Company Position Title: 3d scanning guy
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Merging multiple projects and survey control in Scene 7.1

Post by Raimund58 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:54 am

I think the right-click-trick you are looking for, is the possibility to move scans/cluster with the right click to keep the position. : )
:)

JFlammVDC
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jason Flamm
Company Details: Paric Corporation
Company Position Title: VDC Survey Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Merging multiple projects and survey control in Scene 7.1

Post by JFlammVDC » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:07 pm

Although not near the size of scan you're dealing with, I was successfully able to translate a scan cloud from a local civil location to a GPS location. After you get the registration locked down, delete and replace the references file with the GPS one and do an update scans by target base by right-clicking on the Scan Manager at the very top of the tree. It should move to the new location. I did this so I could merge drone data from Site Scan on top of the terrestrial scan data in Recap Pro. Worked like a charm!

Return to “FARO SCENE”