IMPORT EXTERNAL PHOTOS INTO FARO SCENE

Discuss all Faro related software issues here.
antoinegouv
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Antoine Gouverneur
Company Details: INSA
Company Position Title: Student
Skype Name: antoine5907
Linkedin Profile: Yes

IMPORT EXTERNAL PHOTOS INTO FARO SCENE

Post by antoinegouv » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:20 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a French student, and I would like to have some informations about the importation of panoramas which has'nt been realised with the faro focus.

Indeed, I heard that the Faro Focus scanning part require a internal compensation, which allow to straighten and to homogenize the point cloud, to link the points took at the 0° angle, and the ones took at the 180° angle. Also, when you start the acquisition with the photography mode activated, it also straighten the panorama picture created.
I hopefully think that I am right so far.

My questions are:
- Is it possible to import panoramas took with an external camera (and not the Faro Focus photography mode) into FaroScene ?
- If yes, can the point cloud made with the Faro Focus and the panorama imported be linked ?
- Also if yes, does FaroScene applies the compensation to the panoramas imported ?

Thank you for your time,

Antoine

brian715
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Brian Boehmer
Company Details: Meridian Eng.
Company Position Title: LiDAR Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: IMPORT EXTERNAL PHOTOS INTO FARO SCENE

Post by brian715 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:57 pm

We currently use an Istar camera made by NCTech to take our 360 photos. We were supplied with a bracket that places the camera in the correct location on the tripod, and we then use their colourCloud software to colorize exported .e57 files from scene. There is a scene plugin that should do this, buy we experienced issues with random colors that were obviously wrong.

Also, you can replace your color overlay with a different picture as long as the parameters of the pictures match the original overlay. It must be lined up correctly for this way to work.

you can also take a 360 photo and use control points to colorize the point cloud in scene. Here is a video that shows how that works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1-s7mjEfQc

DavidL
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: David Lander
Company Details: Thames Valley Police Authority
Company Position Title: Crime Scene Surveyor

Post by DavidL » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:23 am

brian715 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:57 pm
you can also take a 360 photo and use control points to colorize the point cloud in scene. Here is a video that shows how that works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1-s7mjEfQc
I suspect this video was done before NCtech released their plugin for Scene. Regardless, this is an interesting video to watch as it's about trying to automate the extremely tedious manual overlay process of external imagery by maintaining relative positions of camera/scanner and then copying the PictureFit for each scan. I've never considered copying PictureFit before... and I'm not convinced by this technique as it will rely on the photo stiching software to stitch the spherical in the exact same way every time (in my experience of iStar stitching this is not the case). It might be possible to get the technique working using a DSLR and PTGUI workflow whereby you have control over how the stitching is done, if so then it would be a huge time saver.

Edit: Just to update to say that copying PictureFit does not work even with identically stitched panos and perfectly matched positioning of camera/scanner. Simple reason is that PictureFit uses 3D cordinates, so it's never going to work as described in that video.

brian715
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Brian Boehmer
Company Details: Meridian Eng.
Company Position Title: LiDAR Technician

Post by brian715 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:23 pm

DavidL wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:23 am

Edit: Just to update to say that copying PictureFit does not work even with identically stitched panos and perfectly matched positioning of camera/scanner. Simple reason is that PictureFit uses 3D cordinates, so it's never going to work as described in that video.
Yes sorry thank you David. I forgot to mention that. We found this out as well when we tried to use this process. I was more thinking that the video shows the manual stitching process and how it works in scene, but the idea of making a "template" that can be used for every picture just doesn't work the way it is described.

Return to “FARO SCENE”