Combining laser scan with public lidar data

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
dsmith5009
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Dennis Smith
Company Details: Forensic Scanning Engineering As Builts
Company Position Title: Manager of Reality Capture
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Combining laser scan with public lidar data

Post by dsmith5009 »

Question here - we are attempting to combine a laser scan with publicly available lidar data. We have set local control using an opus solution but when we compare coordinates of features we are off both horizontally and vertically. The coordinates we shot line up on google earth (big whoop). Coordinates from the public lidar coordinate with the map on the NGS Coordinate conversion and transformation tool but not on google earth. Our goal of course is not to line up with google earth... we need our scan to drop in on the public aerial lidar that was shot in 6343 (NAD83 2011 UTM zone 14N). We gathered our data with differential GPS in NAD83 TXSC. Both were vertically shot in NAVD88. Heres the deal, I am not a surveyor and am not pretending to be. This is 100% for our in house purposes as we are investigators. I understand some of you out there will say just stop and hire a surveyor - and most likely we will. Just trying to learn here and would be great if anyone would be so kind to help me understand what we did wrong -- would be very appreciated! Is it a scale factor issue?
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Combining laser scan with public lidar data

Post by badam »

dsmith5009 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:19 pm Question here - we are attempting to combine a laser scan with publicly available lidar data. We have set local control using an opus solution but when we compare coordinates of features we are off both horizontally and vertically. The coordinates we shot line up on google earth (big whoop). Coordinates from the public lidar coordinate with the map on the NGS Coordinate conversion and transformation tool but not on google earth. Our goal of course is not to line up with google earth... we need our scan to drop in on the public aerial lidar that was shot in 6343 (NAD83 2011 UTM zone 14N). We gathered our data with differential GPS in NAD83 TXSC. Both were vertically shot in NAVD88. Heres the deal, I am not a surveyor and am not pretending to be. This is 100% for our in house purposes as we are investigators. I understand some of you out there will say just stop and hire a surveyor - and most likely we will. Just trying to learn here and would be great if anyone would be so kind to help me understand what we did wrong -- would be very appreciated! Is it a scale factor issue?

You should convert your control coordinates to the required datum. there are tools which can do this conversions. here is an example you chose your src and dest coordinate system.
https://epsg.io/transform#s_srs=4326&t_ ... =NaN&y=NaN

and then apply that control to your own dataset.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”