Resolution Comparison Question

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
Nick22zz
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Nicholas Macrino
Company Details: Aecom
Company Position Title: Designer
Skype Name: Nicholas
Linkedin Profile: No

Resolution Comparison Question

Post by Nick22zz »

Hey guys,

I need a little clarification on the definition/range of a RTC 360 vs a P40. Additionally, I'm trying to determine how often to initiate a scan on a bridge thats about 1400 ft in length. Which unit would you use and why? Any opinions or thoughts? The walkway on the bridge is about 8 ft wide so please keep that in mind.

Thanks!
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager

Re: Resolution Comparison Question

Post by Kruse »

In my experience with an RTC 360, It will shoot and record points out to around 480', depending on the surface. Is it super accurate at that range... unlikely. If I were scanning a large/long structure like a bridge, I'd try to keep the RTC 360 setup spacing to 50-75' when scanning at medium density. That will ensure the full range of that scanner. If you go to high density, it cuts the range of the scanner in half I think. Using that 50-75' spacing, it should allow plenty of overlap between setups to provide easy cloud to cloud registration and a half decent point density around the structure of the bridge, but that will be up to you and your project's requirements. But you'll need to be the judge of of the spacing depending on how dense you need your point cloud. I think at 50' of range, the spacing between points of a medium density scan is in the neighborhood of 3/8" (after looking at a current dataset of mine). I'd refer to the spec sheets of the scanners for their 3D point accuracy at the range you need.

I don't have much experience with a P40/P50, but the ranging/3D accuracy is far superior to the RTC. I believe they'll also allow much denser points clouds captured at the full range of the scanner which could help reduce the amount of setups needed. You can even do high detail/resolution scans of specific areas on the bridge to get lots of detail in critical areas without having to do a full dome scan at crazy stupid resolutions. All depends on your needs. Spacing between setups would in theory be far less, due to the range it's capable of, but realistically, you need to setup the scanner in locations that will allow the best coverage of the bridge/area scanned.

If it were up to me, I'd go with a P40 simply due to the higher accuracy at further ranges. It should help ensure the accuracy of the data isn't compromised by less than ideal setup locations for you walkway path. The data from a P40 is impressive and super clean the couple of times I've used one, and would help ensure you don't need to go back out and rescan due to issues with the quality of data (not to say the RTC is bad, it just has it's limits). Might be useful to also do a double scan just to help clean up moving people/cars/stuff caught in the scans when you process the data down stream.

RTC 360 Max Range - 120m
P40 Max Range - 270m
P50 Max Range - 1000m

One thing to note, the P40 and P50 are the exact same scanner, it's purely firmware/software that limits the range of it, as far as I'm aware since you can upgrade a P40 to a P50. That being said, I would think the accuracy of a P40 out to 270m should be extremely good/accurate. Just my thoughts though.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

Nick22zz wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:35 am Hey guys,

I need a little clarification on the definition/range of a RTC 360 vs a P40. Additionally, I'm trying to determine how often to initiate a scan on a bridge thats about 1400 ft in length. Which unit would you use and why? Any opinions or thoughts? The walkway on the bridge is about 8 ft wide so please keep that in mind.

Thanks!

Rtc360 has these options to capture data:

High: 3.14mm (PI) @10m clipped at 65m
Medium: 6.28mm (2xPI) @10m unclipped (~100-130m)
Low: 12.56 mm (4xPI) @10m unclipped (~100-130m)

It really depends on the bridge but you might be better of with the p40 because the higher res and longer range.
JNally
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Joe Nally
Company Details: EPS
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by JNally »

I recently used a P50 and had a play with the 1km range mode. Actually quite impressed with how it was.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”