Point Cloud Leveling Issue - Register 360 + BLK360

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 related issues here.
chris_BLTSMRT
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Chris Wiesen
Company Details: BLT SMRT LLC
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Point Cloud Leveling Issue - Register 360 + BLK360

Post by chris_BLTSMRT »

Hi All,

I am currently having issues with my scans being registered with the floor having an upward curve on both my longitudinal and transverse axis. I am still new in using the Register 360 software but feel like I have a pretty solid grasp on the workflow having watched many tutorial videos.

Not long ago, an employee had set the scanner up in a doorway and the door pushed the unit over while on a fully extended Leica tripod. :( It left a noticeable dent on the unit but it seemed to be working afterwards. My concern is that we had only done small projects >5,000SF prior to the fall where things registered perfectly and recently been contracted to do >30k+ jobs where I started to notice the issue. Due to not having done a project prior to the fall I cannot use a past project for comparison. I feel like this might be an indication that things are out of calibration since even with targets I am finding it impossible to get the scan to register appropriately.

I have also been trying to use the new "level" tool in Register 360 but am having a hard time understanding whether it should be done for each setup or simply used on an anchor setup to give the optimization tool something to reference. I have tried to google a tutorial on the subject but it seems Leica hasn't had the time to generate a comprehensive manual for this specific feature.

You can see attached the longitudinal section showing the floor curving upwards.
Sample Longitudinal Section - Floor Curving Upward.jpg

Project Info
Scanner: BLK360 (Mfng:Jan '20)
Last Calibration: 02/21 (Like that matters now)
Software:
Leica Cyclone Field (v3.1.900117) for on-site registration
Leica Cyclone Register 360 (BLK Edition) (v2021.1.2 Build r20092)

Ultimately, I am trying to determine if this is User Error or if this is a symptom of a scanner that needs to be re-calibrated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Wiesen| President
BLT SMRT, LLC | BIM Software & Solutions

O: 702.744.7848
E: [email protected]
www.bltsmrt.com
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: none
Company Position Title: none
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Point Cloud Leveling Issue - Register 360 + BLK360

Post by badam »

Yep that happaned to us, you need to send the device to switzerland and fix/recalibrate it (it'll cost you).

just go into a single scan (setup) and see if you have misalignment in the start/end (where more points should overlap) of the scan, but i'm 99% sure that you have. see below the image
2.png
And you have to rescan the whole projects unfortinatelly..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chris_BLTSMRT
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Chris Wiesen
Company Details: BLT SMRT LLC
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by chris_BLTSMRT »

Hi Badam,

Yea, that seems to be the case for sure.
Scan Misalignment Sample.jpg
I am currently talking with Leica to get an estimate for the repair and a temp unit in the meantime. It's a very frustrating situation.

Thank you for your response.
Chris Wiesen| President
BLT SMRT, LLC | BIM Software & Solutions

O: 702.744.7848
E: [email protected]
www.bltsmrt.com
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: none
Company Position Title: none
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

you could try to use the leveling feature (on every setup) but you will have issues with this dataset. but if the deliverable is a 2d floorplan to demolition or something like that then you may get out some result from this, but send the device to leica asap.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”