Registration Best Practices

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Registration Best Practices

Post by stutosney »

I would like to gauge peoples thoughts on a registration workflow.

A large warehouse like building with several floors is scanned in different sections i.e. external, ground floor, first floor etc. through Reg 360 in separate projects for each section. After going through 360, it is brought into Cyclone Core. Is it best to register each section independently on its own through C2C (assume no targets or coordination is involved) and then once these are all done, create a Master registration and fit each scan world C2C through overlap, so GF to Externals etc? Or, is it better to bring them all into one registration and C2C the whole building in one go?
I am assuming in a situation like this, doing it in one registration will adjust the whole site and every individual scan, whereas registering the sections together as scan worlds will do a best fit between 'fixed' scan worlds and potentially have more room for errors as they can't be shifted around as much? Hopefully this is making sense, it does in my head!

Also, I am aware the 'best practice' is targets etc, I am merely asking about these two scenarios alone and the implications of both methodologies.

Thanks in advance
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Re: Registration Best Practices

Post by steves01x »

These situations can be a pain choosing the "correct" approach.

I always do prefer having it all in 1 large project but i know its not always possible for various reason etc and all straight in to Cyclone Core.

Have split a job that had all the externals, corridors and stairs etc connected with c2c using P40, in one database - then had targets on each floors stair case (2 to 4 stair cases spread out per floor) . This allowed the targets to be shifted to the local grid then exported from Cyclone. Then imported again per floor - this allowed well spread out shift rather than it hanging from 1 home world control scan. Wouldnt be sure about this approach on a larger building with RTC360 though. The reason for this approach was the stairs were not part of any building works and were safe for leaving targets up over a period of time.... Initial scans for quick measured survey to create basic plans then stripped out/few walls down and floors up etc to create fresh, more detailed plans of the blank canvas.

But if you need perfection plenty of targets with the total station.
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by stutosney »

Yeah, I guess the C2C linking is all reliant on the overlap between scanworlds. I was wondering more whether it is preferable to spread the errors over the whole site or try and fit the fixed scanworlds to each other and hope the individual registrations are tight. Like you said, control throughout is safest.
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by steves01x »

If each of the areas were all "dead ends", e.g all in one door with no other way in or out then im sure the c2c wont change if you had it in one massive database or separate ones. But if these areas had multiple ways in/out to other areas of the project i would want to c2c them in!

If the spec allows for it then i would be pretty confident scanning almost most places of size with P40 and c2c using Cyclone Core to register it.
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by stutosney »

Yeah agreed, I am starting to venture more into Register 360 and I really am not liking it, feels like too much room for error and not very solid. Maybe I'm just stuck in my Cyclone Core ways!
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by steves01x »

I used Reg 360 once, didnt like it - might have a play around over Xmas with it and see what the Ortho generation is like from it.

Cyclone Core is fairly solid and just appears to work almost all of the time! And i can spot registration errors in it quickly and fix them (most of the time :D )
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

steves01x wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:07 pm I used Reg 360 once, didnt like it - might have a play around over Xmas with it and see what the Ortho generation is like from it.

Cyclone Core is fairly solid and just appears to work almost all of the time! And i can spot registration errors in it quickly and fix them (most of the time :D )
We've only been using Reg 360 for the last 3 years (except for our first year of Cyclone Core rental), but only the last year has been really enjoyable. The biggest beef I have right now with it is that the residuals are not split in the X,Y,& Z. You only get 3D error residuals. I like to see how they are hitting all three directions in the workflow before the final report. I do like the Sitemap and floor management and we always use targets that are surveyed in. We closed floors tight and then connect using common vertical stair overlaps to connect from one Floor to another across site maps, or to Ground scans (on some parking garages.
We recently had a neighborhood survey where we had to run control into each back yard and each was a separate sitemap tied to common Grid control. You can then C2C each back yard and tied to common Grid the whole thing can be exported out relative to each other, as well as view it as the large composite bundle.
Moc
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Matthias S
Company Details: TPI
Company Position Title: 3D-Team Coordinator
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Moc »

I would register each section on its own in Cyclone Core. After that you can bring all sections together in a Master Registration. You have the option to import the other Registrations with all their constraints and then just hit the magic "Auto-Add Cloud Constraints" button to find the missing constraints between the groups automatically or use the visual alignment between groups to have a bit more control over it.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”