Make BLK360 scans Level

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
b_clive
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Clive Bugeja
Company Details: ARC International Surveyors Ltd.
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Make BLK360 scans Level

Post by b_clive »

Does anyone know how to set a reference plane on 2 vertices? Or better still i have a datum on site and i would like to tie my blk scans to it to make my scans level? I was trying to create a refplane and set my co ordinates on that. Any other/better ideas?
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Make BLK360 scans Level

Post by Matt Young »

To make a scan level you will need at least three points. Ideally you would survey these points and use them as targets in your scan. This will give you a pretty level scan if the survey is good.

If the scan is already done then you could still survey some points that you know are in the scan. Then create some vertices at those points and use them to register the scan to the survey. This may not be so level as errors can creep in when you create the vertices.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
b_clive
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Post by b_clive »

Thanks for the reply,
I usually use the method mentioned by yourself, but for this particular project, there was no need. I just need to create a plane to set my co ordinates to it. I sometimes used to make a patch on the floor and set my UCS to it, but for this particular project, I have a datum on site that I know is level. So i wanted to level my scan to this.
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young »

If you scan is already level then you can pick a point and assign a new coordinate system, stating the new elevation for that point. You need three points to level scan. Not sure which one you are trying to do.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
b_clive
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Post by b_clive »

So I have a bunch of scans which are not as level as much I need them. I know this cause I have a couple on levels on-site marked in red (which I can pick up from the scans) that say that the level should be 100.00m. Now since I am not using any survey points we all know that scanning with a blk360, one will have some sort of error in the z-direction for sure. I want to set a plane/refplane on this Level=100.00 so that my project comes level to this and i override the original coordinates of the blk.
Phill
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phillip Nixon
Company Details: SKM

Post by Phill »

I guessing you are in cyclone, pick your three points with the same elevation, go to create object->from pick points-> polyline, then create object -> from curves -> patch, then view-> coordinate systems-> set from object. This will straighten it up for you (or be completely upside down you just never know).

There are also many other ways, like pick the three point and go view->coordinate system-> from points, use the three points and make the coordinate system, then insert an object like a steel beam, spin it so it runs roughly in the up direction, go to edit object-> align to xyz axes, then view->coordinate system set to object.

Cheers
Phill
b_clive
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Post by b_clive »

Phill wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:19 pm I guessing you are in cyclone, pick your three points with the same elevation, go to create object->from pick points-> polyline, then create object -> from curves -> patch, then view-> coordinate systems-> set from object. This will straighten it up for you (or be completely upside down you just never know).

There are also many other ways, like pick the three point and go view->coordinate system-> from points, use the three points and make the coordinate system, then insert an object like a steel beam, spin it so it runs roughly in the up direction, go to edit object-> align to xyz axes, then view->coordinate system set to object.

Cheers
Phill
Thank you for your reply. It is a good method too. I actually used another method which worked fine too. I selected the 3 points which I know that they are level, created a vertex with a label and exported it as a txt file. then in the txt file, I edit the elevation of all the 3 points to make them all the same. I imported the txt file back in cyclone and created a new registration with this txt file as home and it did the trick for me. Don't know how it didn;t come to mind before :? since it is my day to day routine working with control points for a totalstation to set control to pointclouds.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by gsisman »

b_clive wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:48 pm
Phill wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:19 pm I guessing you are in cyclone, pick your three points with the same elevation, go to create object->from pick points-> polyline, then create object -> from curves -> patch, then view-> coordinate systems-> set from object. This will straighten it up for you (or be completely upside down you just never know).

Cheers
Phill
Thank you for your reply. It is a good method too. I actually used another method which worked fine too. I selected the 3 points which I know that they are level, created a vertex with a label and exported it as a txt file. then in the txt file, I edit the elevation of all the 3 points to make them all the same. I imported the txt file back in cyclone and created a new registration with this txt file as home and it did the trick for me. Don't know how it didn;t come to mind before :? since it is my day to day routine working with control points for a totalstation to set control to pointclouds.
:like:
James Hall
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James E Hall
Company Details: Dewberry Engineering Inc
Company Position Title: Survey Technician - Cyclone Modeler

Post by James Hall »

Here is a solution,

This would work for new scans.
The BLK360 has no level, It could be mounted on a tribrach or you could put a bubble level on the BLK tripod. This would bring in scans that would be a lot closer to level. Not as good as having three targets and coordinates but it would be faster.
tribrach.png
bubble level.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by stutosney »

James Hall wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:52 pm Here is a solution,

This would work for new scans.
The BLK360 has no level, It could be mounted on a tribrach or you could put a bubble level on the BLK tripod. This would bring in scans that would be a lot closer to level. Not as good as having three targets and coordinates but it would be faster.

tribrach.png

bubble level.jpg
I did this previously, attached a small level to the tripod. Still wasn't great, if the first scan is out slightly, the BLK will use that level plane through the rest of the scans as the 'datum' i believe. So the first scan might be slightly out, but by the time you get to the end, it is a considerable tilt. If in doubt, use targets.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”