General question - exporting point cloud

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

General question - exporting point cloud

Post by max72 »

I am not a Cyclone user, but I have a question related to a strange experience a friend recently had.

An external group did a scan job (say 50-100 scans), of a square area with sides length of about 100 meters.
My friend had to create a 2d drawing of the single floor, and he received a cad file with hundreds of small image chunks with the points with intensity colors.
The total dimension is more than 10 Gb, and the pixel size is 1-2 mm, and definitely not usable (he could'n even open it), so he asked me if I could help.
I united and subsampled the model with Globalmapper, but the model is still very difficult to be used and not clear (also the original wasn't so good).

Having pointcab (and being my friend used to work with pointcab output) we asked to have the point cloud in order to create plans that would be easier to work with and much lighter on the PC resources.
The request was refused because the point cloud generation is too complex/difficult/impossible/whatever
I have no experience with Cyclone, it workflow and the time required for the various operations, but I wonder if there might be a sense in the refusal or if it simply is laziness or loss of the project.

Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: General question - exporting point cloud

Post by steves01x »

The ortho export in Cyclone isnt that good for larger areas.

Depending on what has been agreed/paid for then surely they can just batch export the registered scans to e57 and share them with you for your own ortho creation in Point Cab?
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Re: General question - exporting point cloud

Post by max72 »

Thanks.
Being not related to the project, I cannot make requests. As an external observer I'm wondering if the hiccups in the workflow are software related, and reasonably this is not the case.
Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”