Cyclone point cloud classification

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
tsepchar
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: charilaos tsepas
Company Details: datum monitoring ltd
Company Position Title: senior surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Cyclone point cloud classification

Post by tsepchar »

Hello to all,

My client asked me to separate my point-cloud into different layers for example ''vegetation'' except from region grow for the road i could not find something else. Any suggestions for cyclone 9.4 would be much appreciated.

Regards to all
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Re: Cyclone point cloud classification

Post by pburrows145 »

Give 3DReshaper (soon to become Cyclone 3DR) a go... has some really cool classification tool, plus scripting. You can also segment by colour and distance which sometimes provides really interesting results - and neatly classifies stuff.

There is nothing in Cyclone as of yet which will perform this function. It would be a matter of segmentation by intensity, or manual tidying and layering.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

tsepchar wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:24 pm Hello to all,
My client asked me to separate my point-cloud into different layers for example ''vegetation'' except from region grow for the road i could not find something else. Any suggestions for cyclone 9.4 would be much appreciated.
Regards to all
'Segmentation' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_segmentation
"In computer vision, image segmentation is the process of partitioning a digital image into multiple segments (sets of pixels, also known as super-pixels). The goal of segmentation is to simplify and/or change the representation of an image into something that is more meaningful and easier to analyze.[1][2] Image segmentation is typically used to locate objects and boundaries (lines, curves, etc.) in images. More precisely, image segmentation is the process of assigning a label to every pixel in an image such that pixels with the same label share certain characteristics."
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: The Yard Brisbane
Company Position Title: Manager - 3D Design and Scanning

Post by Mike Annear »

CloudCompare or Lastools,
Both have a bit of a learning curve but the results are worth it.
Regards,
Mike.
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

Scott wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:52 pm
Regards to all
"In computer vision, image segmentation is the process of partitioning a digital image into multiple segments (sets of pixels, also known as super-pixels). The goal of segmentation is to simplify and/or change the representation of an image into something that is more meaningful and easier to analyze.[1][2] Image segmentation is typically used to locate objects and boundaries (lines, curves, etc.) in images. More precisely, image segmentation is the process of assigning a label to every pixel in an image such that pixels with the same label share certain characteristics."
Question, most lidar software claasifies by infrared, reflectivity and color to create segmentation -correct. Can the same be done with Terrestrial scanner using perpendicular to gravity scanners? There are multiple returns in Lidar which also eases some coarse classification (Treetops, rooftops, low vegetation , bare earth,etc)
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

gsisman wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:44 pm
Scott wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:52 pm
Regards to all
Question, most lidar software claasifies by infrared, reflectivity and color to create segmentation -correct. Can the same be done with Terrestrial scanner using perpendicular to gravity scanners? There are multiple returns in Lidar which also eases some coarse classification (Treetops, rooftops, low vegetation , bare earth,etc)
I've been waiting for improved segmentation tools for years--mostly from AI developers. Most of the 'progress' has been towards integration with BIM platforms. While I understand the logic (I'm an architect, after all), it's created a bloated, fragmented software market. Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate the entire process and what it is best suited for. Have a look at medical imaging, too (CT, MR). 2D is still important when it clarifies what you are looking at for basic decision making.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”