Cyclone old database update error

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
danielgadowski
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Gadowski
Company Details: Transport for London
Company Position Title: Senior Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Cyclone old database update error

Post by danielgadowski »

Hi gang,
we have recently came across an odd problem whereby Cyclone 9.3.2 would throw an error out when trying to open and update an old database.
It seems to complete the update, but when you open a modelspace it doesn't show the point cloud and displays the following error.
Leica Error from database update.JPG
We were still able to open that database in 9.2 that we still have a on few PC's.
Leica has came back stating that it has something to do with PCE format and that the solution is to covert the database to the enhanced working format or compact and optimize.
Both of those processes take significant amount of time to complete and take up the licence and PC.
Now as you can imagine we have terabytes of older datasets that we regularly re-use and mine data out of.
Not being able to simply update the database like we used to is a serious issue.
Is there a particular reason that this has been stripped from the latest Cyclone? Is there a possibility to have it re-instated?
Cheers
Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DavieCahill
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: David Cahill
Company Details: UTEC StarNet
Company Position Title: Senior Solutions Developer

Re: Cyclone old database update error

Post by DavieCahill »

Dan

We got this issue a few weeks ago as well, and went through a pain with Leica Support trying to resolve it, and were told the exact same and they had no plans to resolve the issue in future updates, so we no have one machine in the office that is running 9.2 so we can open old data, converting to enhanced working format is not an option for us, as the time it would take would be days if not weeks for a 1000+ scan projects.

Bit surprised by Leica that they have taken this function away, without any warning about old databases.

Hopefully this was just an over site in the coding and they might resolve it in the next release, but all sounds coming from Leica when we contacted them were that they wouldn't!
danielgadowski
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by danielgadowski »

That would be disastrous thou! Especially for all of those companies that have a lot of data on their systems that they regularly go back to (like TFL, Network Rail, etc.). I agree that not being told about it is bad, but not even trying to fix it going forward is insane. Backwards compatibility is paramount for is.
Leica please tell us this is not a permanent change, please?!
Yuelin
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Yuelin
Company Details: Leica Geosystems
Company Position Title: Lead software engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Yuelin »

Hi Daniel,

Cyclone 9.3.2 still supports PCE data. It seems there is some issue with the installation. Please try to locate the file "Cyclone.exe.config" in the same folder as "Cyclone.exe", open it with any text editor (e.g. Notepad), search for "9.3.2.0" and replace it with "9.3.2.6304" in two places, save it and restart Cyclone.

Yuelin
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Scott »

danielgadowski wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:01 pm That would be disastrous thou! Especially for all of those companies that have a lot of data on their systems that they regularly go back to (like TFL, Network Rail, etc.). I agree that not being told about it is bad, but not even trying to fix it going forward is insane. Backwards compatibility is paramount for is.
Leica please tell us this is not a permanent change, please?!
Time for a true Open Source platform that everyone can use beyond the next business cycle. Have we learned nothing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danielgadowski
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by danielgadowski »

Yuelin wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:59 pm Hi Daniel,

Cyclone 9.3.2 still supports PCE data. It seems there is some issue with the installation. Please try to locate the file "Cyclone.exe.config" in the same folder as "Cyclone.exe", open it with any text editor (e.g. Notepad), search for "9.3.2.0" and replace it with "9.3.2.6304" in two places, save it and restart Cyclone.

Yuelin
Yuelin,
this unfortunately has not worked, as the file already contained 9.3.2.6304.
On top of that we were informed by the Support, that the last version able to convert the PCE data was 9.3.1.
This makes me believe this possibility was deliberately removed by the developers.
It is near unbelievable for me that this could be the case, as for a lot of people it will cause a lot of issues down the line.
It will inevitably break the BIM process in some cases.
Scott wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:55 pm Time for a true Open Source platform that everyone can use beyond the next business cycle. Have we learned nothing?
To be honest it would be nice to have, but with the width of the spectrum of things people need it for it would never be done as open source product.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

Does changing Cyclone.exe.config text to 9.3.2.0 work by chance? My csutility.dll shows 9.3.2.0 in its details. Looks like a build error.
danielgadowski
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by danielgadowski »

jamesworrell wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:47 am Does changing Cyclone.exe.config text to 9.3.2.0 work by chance? My csutility.dll shows 9.3.2.0 in its details. Looks like a build error.
James,
Looks like magically this has worked and we can now see the point cloud. We will do some more testing to confirm if this is the actual fix.
Thank you
arie
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Arie Kai-Browne
Company Details: University of Applied Sciences Berlin
Company Position Title: Scientific staff member
Skype Name: aaaarie

Post by arie »

Hey everyone,
I am having the same issue with Cyclone 9.4.0. Unfortunately, there seems to be no more "9.4.0.0" or similar in the Cyclone.exe.config.
Anyone have a solution?

Cheers!
arie
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Arie Kai-Browne
Company Details: University of Applied Sciences Berlin
Company Position Title: Scientific staff member
Skype Name: aaaarie

Post by arie »

Just as an update: I got an answer from Leica. The support for PCE files has been dropped after version 9.3.1.
Cheers!

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”