Using Cycone With Faro Scanner

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
Wannascan
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: William Hart Rabbino
Company Details: Kestrel Construction
Company Position Title: Co-Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Using Cycone With Faro Scanner

Post by Wannascan »

Hello all I am curious of others experience using cyclone with a faro scanner. Scene works but is glitchy and I was hoping to learn cyclone and have a better experience. Please share.
Wannascan
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Re: Using Cycone With Faro Scanner

Post by Wannascan »

Where can I download a trail version?
LeicaUK_RC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Leica Geosystems part of Hexagon
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Director UK
Skype Name: Phil.H.Marsh
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by LeicaUK_RC »

Hi,

You can download it from here - http://leica-geosystems.com/products/la ... 16-x64.zip

It might be best to contact your local reseller so they can show you how to use this. They will also give you a trial license so you can test this out yourself.

If you don't get any joy give me a shout and I'll help out where I can ;) .
Leica Geosystems
M: 07540 201383
E: [email protected]
W: www.leica-geosystems.com
ChrisJPalmer
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Chris Palmer
Company Details: FARO Technologies
Company Position Title: 3D Documentation Engineer

Post by ChrisJPalmer »

If you really want to use Cyclone with FARO Scanner data, I would very much recommend you first of all run the data through SCENE and then save out as.fls files to import to Cylcone.

The reason for this is that Cyclone will not apply the default or additional scan filters applied to the data in the latest version of SCENE.

Therefore the output data you receive will not representative of the data you COULD receive ! :D
robertbon
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Robert Bonnington
Company Details: Ridgeway Surveys Ltd
Company Position Title: Director

Post by robertbon »

Thanks Chris, that makes good sense. Would these .fls file exports contain the spheres and checkerboards if they had been marked in Scene?

If not, is there a method to get the spheres into Cyclone? (I know I can create them manually, scan-by-scan, in Cyclone but this is too labourious. I am wondering if there is a more efficient solution?)
Wannascan
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by Wannascan »

By scan filters do you mean the edge filter, dark pt filter, etc? The reason I am interested in cyclone is because I am a service provider and I want to be able to provide point clouds in a format that anyone can use and cyclone seems to be a more robust software that has much more capabilities than scene. I have been very disappointed with the glitches in the newest version of scene including the latest release and have had to revert back to 6.2... each time I work up the courage to update. This has caused me many a headache and hours at my computer. I know cyclone is sure to have glitches of its own but I am hoping that it is a much more evolved software and seems to be much more capable. I am not giving up on scene but I want to broaded my horizons. I also hope to purchase a leica or zf scanner in the future.

Please if you have experience with both tell me your opinions. Pros of each cons. Etc

Thank you
Formula1982
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stephen Ferrari
Company Details: UTEC StarNet Geomatics
Company Position Title: Technical Lead

Post by Formula1982 »

One thing I've found using Faro with Cyclone, is that the intensity recorded by a Faro scanner of black&white targets is different than Cyclone is expecting. Therefore it can be much less reliable at recognising them to apply a vertex. So I usually resorted to using sphere targets with a Faro scanner as the main control, and only the odd b/w target to tie into other data.

The last time I did this was over a year ago though, maybe this has since been addressed in more recent versions of Cyclone? Would be good to know.
MarkL
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Lupton
Company Details: Wolverton
Company Position Title: LASER Scanning
Skype Name: [email protected]

Post by MarkL »

You should run the preprocessing in scene as Cyclone won't level the scans if you import the unprocessed fls file. You can try to export the sphere centers as a txt file but I imagine then you'd have to import it for each scan, v time consuming. If you can register in scene, you can export all the scans, bring them into a cyclone registration and lock it immediately without any constraints. The intensity values are different but as long as it's only faro data you can edit the colour map to make it look neater. I found cyclone to be a bit of a learning curve, but also more reliable for larger data sets.
jaredmatthews
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jared
Company Details: Sova Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: jaredmatthews

Post by jaredmatthews »

You mentioned that you want broaden your horizons.... have you looked into Realworks from Trimble? I made the switch about a year ago and have not looked back!

The workflow and process is slightly different (thats to be expected) but once you get used to it, its great.

Realworks work best with its own brand of scanner (Trimble) but is also very compatible with the .fls format (as trimble has the TX5 (which is basically a rebranded Faro X130).

Realworks allows the improt of fls files, so no need to import into scene first, then export, then re-import.

As with Cyclone, there are some nice registration and visual checking tools to help you as you register.

Realworks allows auto-registration (using planes) to 'roughly' place your scans initially (but iv found on smaller project scans of say under 40 scans those rough placements are quite accurate as they are and there is no need for adjustment)

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”