Leica Cyclone FIELDWORX

Discuss all Cyclone Leica Cyclone, Field 360 & Register 360 related issues here.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Leica Cyclone FIELDWORX

Post by gsisman »

JLarson wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:19 pm
Ok, after seeing and reading through the above comments I have to say I was excited, but became less the more I read. ...........
  • You already have a tablet field software offering (that only works with a couple of your hardware offerings), and its limited to C2C workflows (great for Buildings, not so great for Topo). By making a new product that we will need to buy separatly, this seems to me like a blatant money grab. I hear the gripe all the time that development costs money, and I appreciate that, but we pay an ungodly amount of money every year to maintain our CCP's and if this doesn't cover the development of the software to meet our needs, why do we continue to pay for it?
  • You are addressing some of the rest of your scanner offerings with this release, but only the newest ones.
  • It's on a different tablet platform so now we need to buy even more hardware of a different type. (more for our crews to learn)
  • It's still based on a resection workflow (with min 3 common targets between scans), not a traverse workflow. It doesn't support setting up over points with an HI, or using target heights
  • Doesn't do target specific scans, just from the main scan and auto-extract. Ok, but if your main scan is lower density, or targets are spread out, it won't work well.
Jason

My feeling on this release, having watched Leica do this in the past from the inside, is that this is a quick patch to allow a "Mobile" solution that will export to an E57 in the field and allow direct storage onto a Removable mobile device- albeit through an attached cable. My guess is they are trying to fit their P series into a workflow that may specify (As in specs written for bids on equipment which many purchasers use) an ability to export to a open format in the field from a mobile device.
WIndows was probable the easiest to do quickly since they could port some of the coding from Cyclone over without getting into major Android/IOS re-programming. Trying to continue the life of the P-Series just a bit longer. At some point soon they need to incorporate the P-series bells and whistle (traversing, decimation, range limiting , partial scans ,etc) into an RTC360 like scanner with VIS.
Reading through the doc as you said, it looks like to is specifically a 3 pt rotation translation for each scan which is then capable of being exported to a folder in E57 or PTS format. And that is about the benefit, in addition to a nicer modernized and larger screen interface from the RDP version (WHich I have used on one occasion.

SCCS RTC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: SCCS Survey Equipment Limited
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Manager
Skype Name: Phil.H.Marsh

Post by SCCS RTC »

JLarson wrote:
I'm a Leica guy, we have Leica gear across the board and have done for years, also these comments are not pointed at you Phil, I know you just sell the stuff.
We do sell the stuff at SCCS which part of the Hexagon family but I also work very closely with the Leica management and development team for the European region. I also sit on the software and business review board and I can say that customers are at the forefront of any discussions at these meetings. We do listen to all customer feedback to try and steer any development towards an improved workflow.

With regards to the Cyclone Fieldwork software, like I mentioned before this was developed to solve a particular problem where users could capture and register data instantly whilst in the field. For example, a tunnel construction engineer could resect off existing control, evaluate the accuracies achieved and publish data to a generic file format. Therefore dramatically speeding up the workflow and all whilst still working at the coal face. The new interface needed to be robust, clear and easy to use as the user will probably be wearing PPE (Gloves, Glasses, etc). It also needed to run on existing Leica tablets such as the CS35s which have a Windows operating system. This software, however, is also very useful in lots of other working environments so it opened up to everyone to use if required and I'm looking forward to seeing just where/when/how people use this in the field.

Leica has lots of development ideas and exciting announcements coming over the next few years which I cannot mention for the obvious reasons. Let's not worry that this is the 'only' solution to this workflow and if anyone has more great ideas like opening up the Field360 software then I'm sure this will be considered. I would advise speaking with your local Leica rep as they should have access to the ideas board through the support channels and feedback is great to read.

I hope that helps?
SCCS Survey Equipment Limited
M: 07540 201383
E: [email protected]
W: www.sccsurvey.co.uk

matu78
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Matt Towle
Company Details: Lewis Brown Chartered Land Surveyors
Company Position Title: Engineering Laser Scanning Surveyor

Post by matu78 »

Its great to see that Leica are taking on some of the requests for development for the P-Series. I echo some of the comments, I could see some usefulness in this as the RDP app is a bit clunky and isn't supported on new Android OS. I do use the RDP app quite regularly now after purchasing the elevating tripod to get above ceiling tiles etc. so I see this as a step in the right direction.

I can see some use if I was regularly mobilised remotely and a client wanted immediate data. Not many of our clients utilise raw point clouds, at best they may request a decimated cloud. I would be reluctant to hand this over without the office QA of slicing sections and looking for miss-allignments and such like. I would probably use this to verify my onsite registration before returning to the office for further tweaking.

Being restricted to target to target scans is rather limiting though as quite often I (as many others I'm sure) will combine targeted with C2C scans. Having a C2C manual visual allignment manager would save the office head scratching and some of the laborious sketching required at times. I generally am very careful with my target labelling and rarely have any serious errors, although I guess this software would alert you if Bob the Builder had decided to tinker with your targets.

I was surprised that Leica didn't add an export to .lgs format!

If C2C function, such as seen in Field 360, could be added I would probably invest in a Windows tablet to utilise this package. But until that feature is added I will persevere with the RDP app and my clipboard. Close but no cigar Leica.

gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

SCCS RTC wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:23 pm
JLarson wrote:
I'm a Leica guy, we have Leica gear across the board and have done for years, also these comments are not pointed at you Phil, I know you just sell the stuff.
It also needed to run on existing Leica tablets such as the CS35s which have a Windows operating system. This software, however, is also very useful in lots of other working environments so it opened up to everyone to use if required and I'm looking forward to seeing just where/when/how people use this in the field.

Leica has lots of development ideas and exciting announcements coming over the next few years which I cannot mention for the obvious reasons. Let's not worry that this is the 'only' solution to this workflow and if anyone has more great ideas like opening up the Field360 software then I'm sure this will be considered. I would advise speaking with your local Leica rep as they should have access to the ideas board through the support channels and feedback is great to read.

I hope that helps?
Phil, funny you mentioned the CS35. We have one. We actually bought it forward thinking that we may use it with the Backpack Pegasus and Captivate with more real estate. We have access to a P40 and it will be nice to try this with it if we can. Is this going to be a subscription service also?

SCCS RTC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: SCCS Survey Equipment Limited
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Manager
Skype Name: Phil.H.Marsh

Post by SCCS RTC »

Hi Steve,

Yes, this will follow all the normal Leica Geosystems licensing options, as follows...
  • Permanent License
  • Annual Subscription
  • TimeLimited (Weekly/Monthly)
  • Enterprise Elite
  • 15-day Evaluation
SCCS Survey Equipment Limited
M: 07540 201383
E: [email protected]
W: www.sccsurvey.co.uk

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Field 360 & Register 360”