Cyclone 9.3 - Export file Sizes

Discuss all Cyclone related issues here.
tkluckow
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Trevor Kluckow
Company Details: ContraSpec cc
Company Position Title: HDS Modeller and IT Engineer
Skype Name: t_kluckow
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Cyclone 9.3 - Export file Sizes

Post by tkluckow » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm needing some help/guidance here, below is a workflow i used but to date i have not been successful.
I have been away from scanning HDS for a few years and was asked to assist with a project.

Workflow #1

* Scanner Used - P40 rental, 47 scans on a building, internal and exterior scans. (55GB in raw data)
* Imported the Raw Scans into Cyclone 9.1.5.(supplied with the rental scanner)
* battled myself stupid to get the clouds registered.
* reached out to Leica support and was advised to rather use the REG360.
* downloaded a copy of REG360, imported the scans, registered and exported to a E57, LGS to use in CY9.1.5 (E57 was about 155GB and LGS was 30GB)
* after a lot of battling, was advised to download the latest release 9.3 which would then support the import of the 360project.
* one the data in Cyclone, i was asked to export the DB to use in recap and this is where it gets exciting, as the e57 exported from CYREG360 is the same as the project i imported into Cyclone, (fully registered) everything within 5mm.
* after importing the E57 into recap, funny things were noticed like very bad out of wack alignments of walls and accuracy of measurements were out of spec.
* double checked the registration in cy9.3 and all was not so pretty, the entire registration needed to be fixed.
* sorted the registration out, tried to unify a modelspace, only to find that there were some corruption errors and needed to run the optimize and compact utils. (successfully repaired)
* try to unify, again same story need to run compact. (after 3rd time left the DB as a failure)

Workflow #2

* imported the same raw data straight into CY9.3
* visual registration all looking good.
* try to export the untouched modelspace for use in recap, tried the PTX, PTS, PTG, and E57 with zero luck
*** C: SSD Raid 950GB with 750GB free
*** D: SSD 465GB with 406GB free
*** E: SSD 445GB with 420GB free ( used as the Temp Cache Drive)
*** F: HDD 2TB with 2TB free Installed at 2am this morning (will refer to this shortly)
*** PC Specs - CPU AMD TR 1920X, 64GB ram, AMD R290X
* up until 2am this morning every export format i tried failed as it used up the entire C: free space, and the exports were always around 26% done.
* pulled out a 2Tb drive out of my server, and tried again with a E57, at 10am this morning the E57 had used up 1750GB of the 2TB drive and was only sitting at 62% exported, calculation of ((1750GB / 62%) * 100%) = 2822GB ???????

what is going on here??? how does 55GB raw scan data grow 55x in size?

please advise what to do, as im at my whits end with this data. i have since started to unify the modelspace to see if that will help

Thanx in advance
Kind regards
Trevor
Kind Regards

Trevor Kluckow
IT Engineer / HDS Modeler
ContraSpec cc
Tel : +27 79-527 4832

steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Re: Cyclone 9.3 - Export file Sizes

Post by steves01x » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:14 pm

Exports from 9.3 can be dodgy - import them back in to Cyclone to double check. Or just use the previous version of Cyclone and everything is fine.

You did make sure you optimized then register the group then freeze?

If unifying is causing so much hassle (its a small project) dont bother, export in groups of 5 to 10 scans via ScanWorld explorer as .e57 then import each one of them to ReCap and all should be good apart from the file names within each exported scan will start again at 001, 002 etc but you can rename them.

pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems UK Limited
Company Position Title: EMEA Business Manager HDS
Skype Name: pburrows145

Post by pburrows145 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:55 am

There is an update coming shortly to address the file size issue, this is a known issue for some users.

Not sure why you couldn't register the data in Cyclone REGISTER from the P40. Have you had formal training...? (you say you've been away for a few year).

Did you use the TruSlicer tool in REG360 to check the registration results prior to export?

aembarba
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Alberto Embarba
Company Details: C A Design Services
Company Position Title: Senior Surveying Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by aembarba » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:08 pm

Just updated from Cyclone 9.1 to 9.3.1 and can't export a point cloud. I've tried PTS and E57 but the export fails after a while, having used up both the RAM and the virtual memory (Leica ScanStation P40, 30 scans, 6mm@30m, HDR pictures / Intel Xeon 3.40GHz, 32GB RAM, 64-bit).

The workflow was as follows:

Import ScanStation project (100%, auto-align, generate thumbnails, map colours).
Batch blend images / Batch apply images.
Check pre-registration, visual alignment to align a bunch of scans that did not come in automatically.
Auto-add constraints, optimize, check and delete weak constraints, register, Freeze the registration.
Create and open ModelSpace, duplicate it, clean and unify the point cloud (no reduction).
Export to PTS (from the ModelSpace)... failed.
Export to PTS again (from the ModelSpace)... failed.
Optimize/compact the DB, export to PTS... failed.
Duplicate the cleaned ModelSpace, unify again (this time reducing the point cloud), export to PTS... failed.
Export to E57... failed.

Am I missing something here? Would it work if I go back to 9.1? Any ideas please?

Thanks

gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:33 pm

aembarba wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:08 pm
Just updated from Cyclone 9.1 to 9.3.1 and can't export a point cloud. I've tried PTS and E57 but the export fails after a while, having used up both the RAM and the virtual memory (Leica ScanStation P40, 30 scans, 6mm@30m, HDR pictures / Intel Xeon 3.40GHz, 32GB RAM, 64-bit).

The workflow was as follows:

Import ScanStation project (100%, auto-align, generate thumbnails, map colours).
Batch blend images / Batch apply images.
Check pre-registration, visual alignment to align a bunch of scans that did not come in automatically.
Auto-add constraints, optimize, check and delete weak constraints, register, Freeze the registration.
Create and open ModelSpace, duplicate it, clean and unify the point cloud (no reduction).
Export to PTS (from the ModelSpace)... failed.
Export to PTS again (from the ModelSpace)... failed.
Optimize/compact the DB, export to PTS... failed.
Duplicate the cleaned ModelSpace, unify again (this time reducing the point cloud), export to PTS... failed.
Export to E57... failed.

Am I missing something here? Would it work if I go back to 9.1? Any ideas please?

Thanks
Hopefully you'll get some response. All the items you state were supposed to be fixed in the publishing bug update on v9.3.1
We have issues of accessing any data on our NAS drive from both Cyclone 9.3.1 and Reg 360 v 1.5.1 -the latest releases
Leica needs to get on their San Ramon programmers.

Publishing Bugs v9.3.1 Release Notes
 Corrected a bug which caused published E57 files to be much larger than expected.
 Improved publishing speed for E57 files.
 Improved publishing speed when writing from Cyclone to JetStream.
 Improved speed of unifying point clouds.
 Corrected a bug which mis-aligned clouds when publishing a ModelSpace to E57.
 Corrected a bug which could cause publishing to JetStream to be slower in some cases.
 Corrected a bug where publishing to JetStream would fail under certain circumstances involving users accounts.
 Corrected a bug where Publishing to PTX, PTG or E57 would generate larger than expected files when exporting an edited point cloud.
 Corrected a bug which could cause a compatablity issue between PTX files and ReCap.
 Corrected a bug which could prevent LGS projects containing RTC360 data from publishing some images.
 Corrected a bug where exporting PTX scans with large coordinates caused offset issues.

LeicaHDS_SW_PM
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: LeicaHDS SW Product Management
Company Details: Leica Geosystems
Company Position Title: Leica Geosystems

Post by LeicaHDS_SW_PM » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi There,

this is not a problem we have seen before. In trying to replicate it with data that we have internally we were unable to do so. Can you please contact support to report this and we will do our best to address this problem with you directly?

hds.support@leicaus.com

Best,
HDS Software Product Management Team

aembarba
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Alberto Embarba
Company Details: C A Design Services
Company Position Title: Senior Surveying Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by aembarba » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:06 pm

LeicaHDS_SW_PM wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:37 pm
Hi There,

this is not a problem we have seen before. In trying to replicate it with data that we have internally we were unable to do so. Can you please contact support to report this and we will do our best to address this problem with you directly?

hds.support@leicaus.com

Best,
HDS Software Product Management Team
Thank you very much for your interest. We ended up uninstalling Cyclone 9.3.1 and going back to 9.1... only then I could export the point cloud. No additional steps were required, just install, open project and export.

I'm assuming that it's a bug to fix in the next release. Our company is based in the UK but if you still are interested in getting more information about this issue please do contact me again.

Thank you.

Return to “Leica Cyclone”