V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: NEW Leica Pegasus:Backpack mobile LiDAR & Imagery

Post by tbwester »

adriantaylor09 wrote:Great idea,

at 13kg, you're sure to get a workout while you scan!

Some specs here:
http://leica-geosystems.com/en/Leica-Pe ... 106730.htm

Not sure what they mean by "Two profilers with 600,000 pts/sec" but that unit on the top looks suspiciously like a Velodyne VLP-16 Lidar:
VLP-16_sml.jpg
good catch -

Velodyne LiDAR ‏@VelodyneLidar 1h1 hour ago
Yesterday Leica Geosystems announced their wearable mobile mapping solution, outfitted with 2 Velodyne LiDAR... http://fb.me/6EMkMIwyK
NOVAMECH
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Nick Bush
Company Details: NOVAMECH
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: novamech5

Post by NOVAMECH »

IMHO - Accuracy 50mm ? Very nice looking and sounding machine - However, Data will be visually exciting - but if you can't measure it and get accurate information then its not much use.
If your deliverable is just a TruView type application then with this data accuracy - Will the Accuracy be even worse when measured in a TruView type package.

Next question that I hope someone from Leica will answer -

If survey control points are added to the data (post scan) - will this pull/adjust the data to a some what better accuracy over a total job volume? What sort of accuracy can we expect if this is added?

Some time ago they show cased a ZEB1 on New Zealand nightly news and from memory - they were quoting 50mm to 100mm.
ZEB1 -.JPG
OK - So if you have 50mm accuracy and you then model to this in Rivet or a like package (read more in-accuracy added) - What use is the end deliverable when you can't with confidence rely on dimensional accuracy of the 3D model? If its only 50mm to 100mm one might get better taking a guess at the measured position of a given wall or item in a BIM model.

I will be, proven totally wrong but these are my initial thoughts. If we had say 10mm instrument accuracy then we would be getting somewhere. This will be the next big leap once we get to 10mm's. Did any one say "Disruptive Tech". One might need a greatly enhanced data storage volt for all the data once you get a team capturing data a walking speeds all day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NOVAMECH on Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
richard_m
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Richard Merrin
Company Details: Fugro
Company Position Title: Data Processor _ Project Engineer

Post by richard_m »

Hi,

All of the above is true, however, it takes the p.o.v. that such portable tech could be used to replace current kit in current applications for scanning. Maybe we should be thinking what additional and new applications for scanning this tech could open up?

As I said earlier we do tons of O&G scanning of pipes etc for asset modelling instead of detailed engineering where precision is low and absolute position is a non-issue. I can see areas where it is either not possible to access with a mobile-mapper 4x4 vehicle or simply (theoretically at this stage) more efficient to walk with such tech instead of zig-zagging along with conventional scanners.

I'm imagining such kit mounted on off-road motorbike / quad or even a mountainbike to access areas where a car cannot. Kayak mount available? ;)

So what other new fields could such tech open up?

Richard
AIS
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Bill Gutelius
Company Details: Active Imaging Systems
Company Position Title: President

Post by AIS »

I have used the Zeb1 extensively and it achieves accuracy far better than 50-100mm. In fact, It typically gets 2.5-3.5cm or better. I'm not sure where the original reports of the 50-100mm came from, but I can tell you they are in error (pun intended) :D here's a link to some additional detail regarding the accuracy: http://www.lidarnews.com/content/view/11308/136/
hypsometric
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Arash Yaghoubi
Company Details: Hypsometric
Company Position Title: Director of Cartography
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by hypsometric »

for the 225k someone would spend on this piece of southern comfort you could buy two of anyone else's scanners and a zeb... and a steak dinner.
NOVAMECH
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Nick Bush
Company Details: NOVAMECH
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: novamech5

Post by NOVAMECH »

KNOCK OUT.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmu
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: D Murphy
Company Details: LaserTech
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by dmu »

Got to agree with AIS about the ZEB1 accuracy (http://www.lidarnews.com/content/view/11308/136/).

At a recent presentation it was quoted to be 0.1% of scan distance. I asked afterwards what this meant in real terms and was told if the scan range was 10 metres then I could expect 10mm. We discussed building surveys and surmised that compared to using an old fashioned tape with a survey assistant then the ZEB1 was probably far more reliable in terms of accuracy. I’d love to have one of these in the boot of the car to take out and help complete total station surveys where access to some features can be painstakingly slow.

I can certainly see this latest handheld scanner revolutionising indoor mapping.

Return to “Press Releases”