V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: New BLK 360

Post by pburrows145 »

Full disclosure, the internal dataset I requested to be removed from the main web-page - as for whatever reason, it does not reflect the reality of the device - trust me, I have been using it a LOT! The external dataset remains (and is pretty nice!). Once we have a new internal example (my house perhaps!), we will upload. Sorry for any confusion - but in truth - ignore the internal dataset (if you already downloaded it). Not sure who signed it off, but I would not have done so... seems to have some aggressive filtering and missing data as a result (perhaps someone cleaned in REG360 a bit too much). The data is, for me at least, much better than G1 and the device is so easy to use, download from (USB C, thank you!) and the VIS works very well considering it's only using the 4 cameras on one side of the device. Also, the BLK LIVE app is VERY cool...

If you did not see my video, you can view it here: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/ur ... 907797504/

You can download the external dataset here: https://shop.leica-geosystems.com/gb/le ... -downloads

PS: spec is now 4mm at 10m - in case any missed the change! ;)
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

pburrows145 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:28 am Full disclosure, the internal dataset I requested to be removed from the main web-page - as for whatever reason, it does not reflect the reality of the device - trust me, I have been using it a LOT! The external dataset remains (and is pretty nice!). Once we have a new internal example (my house perhaps!), we will upload. Sorry for any confusion - but in truth - ignore the internal dataset (if you already downloaded it). Not sure who signed it off, but I would not have done so... seems to have some aggressive filtering and missing data as a result (perhaps someone cleaned in REG360 a bit too much). The data is, for me at least, much better than G1 and the device is so easy to use, download from (USB C, thank you!) and the VIS works very well considering it's only using the 4 cameras on one side of the device. Also, the BLK LIVE app is VERY cool...

If you did not see my video, you can view it here: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/ur ... 907797504/

You can download the external dataset here: https://shop.leica-geosystems.com/gb/le ... -downloads

PS: spec is now 4mm at 10m - in case any missed the change! ;)
The internal dataset was a bit funny, i could see some sort of pattern (like a roof plate) in the seperate e57 files. Being a user of heavy scanners this one should be perfect for smaller indoor stuff.

Curious to see a normal internal dataset then.

An lgs file of the exterior to have a good look at the picture quality would be nice to have a look at as well.

You see, i'm not a complete Leica basher. I even bought a Leica Lino P5 laser for construction stake outs one week ago. ;)
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
markscan
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Marco Dileo
Company Details: ARcontrol
Company Position Title: Architect

Post by markscan »

This is a superb upgrade for the BLK360 line!

The only thing I can't get is why the range is 45m compared to Gen1 that has 60m, different sensor or what?
Hope the next Field360 update will feature USB C import (from scanners) and export (to PC);
Very disappointed that the new BLK Live app won't work with Gen1, that's is still being sold.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

markscan wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:39 pm This is a superb upgrade for the BLK360 line!

The only thing I can't get is why the range is 45m compared to Gen1 that has 60m, different sensor or what?
Well the marketing does claim something about 20% smaller :D
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Post by Augusto 3D »

smacl wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:52 pm
markscan wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:39 pm This is a superb upgrade for the BLK360 line!

hahaha,

well, I looked at the interior dataset and I could not get excited. I am glad to know that it was not an accurate representation of what this device outputs. Talking about the ZEB, someone mentioned that it is noiser, yes, but it is also 20 times faster to scan a space with it. I think that once you learn your tools you can output a good usable Revit model or CAD drawings (as long as you manage the client expectations and are clear on the tolerances you are holding.

What I want to see is a 20-second scan with images to compare it to our swift scans. Those scans look amazing despite being 20 seconds.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Augusto 3D wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:15 pm

hahaha,

well, I looked at the interior dataset and I could not get excited. I am glad to know that it was not an accurate representation of what this device outputs. Talking about the ZEB, someone mentioned that it is noiser, yes, but it is also 20 times faster to scan a space with it. I think that once you learn your tools you can output a good usable Revit model or CAD drawings (as long as you manage the client expectations and are clear on the tolerances you are holding.

What I want to see is a 20-second scan with images to compare it to our swift scans. Those scans look amazing despite being 20 seconds.
Geoslam data is good for having an initial sense of the surroundings but not for engineering purposes. It just isn't up to my standards. The speed issue makes no sense. Better no data then fast but unusable data imho.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Post by Augusto 3D »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:46 pm
Augusto 3D wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:15 pm

hahaha,

Geoslam data is good for having an initial sense of the surroundings but not for engineering purposes. It just isn't up to my standards. The speed issue makes no sense. Better no data then fast but unusable data imho.
yes and no, it really depends on the project. I wouldn't try to model piping with Geolam data for instance, but a very "loose" +/- 1/2" interiors revit model not a problem as long as there is some sort of control (again depending on the size of the scan). It all depends.
Lowa
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Andrea Gavagnin
Company Details: Geolab.info Gavagnin.com
Company Position Title: Libero Professionista
Skype Name: andrealowa

Post by Lowa »

Hello, for those who have been able to put their hand to the new BLK360 in Las Vegas.
the vis function, and therefore the pre-alignment of the scans, is also possible on the single e57 scans that it seems can export directly (looking at the technical data sheet) or are they all positioned on 0,0,0 and therefore the BLKLive prealign app but only passing through cyclone?
Thanks for the reply.
Andrew
robin ault
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Robin Ault
Company Details: Downland Partnership
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by robin ault »

Does anyone know if you have to go through Field to register or can you go straight into Register Core ?
thinking we could use it to supplement RTC 360 data.
markscan
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Marco Dileo
Company Details: ARcontrol
Company Position Title: Architect

Post by markscan »

robin ault wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:57 pm Does anyone know if you have to go through Field to register or can you go straight into Register Core ?
thinking we could use it to supplement RTC 360 data.
Will be the same as RTC360 today: you’ll use Field360 to pre register stations; the pre registered proj is synced to the scanner and so USB C transferable to Cyclone Desktop

Return to “Press Releases”