Pointools 64 available on Bentley SELECT download

Discuss all Pointools related issues here.
fj-Bentley
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Felix James
Company Details: Bentley systems
Company Position Title: Support Engineer Senior

Re: Pointools 64 available on Bentley SELECT download

Post by fj-Bentley »

Please provide me with contact details and I will arrange a download link for you.

vudn54
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Dang Nguyen Vu
Company Details: www.3dscan.com.vn
Company Position Title: Technical Director
Skype Name: [email protected]

Post by vudn54 »

Hi fj-Bentley,
This is my contact details:
Dang Nguyen Vu
3D Scanning, GIS and Remote Sensing Technician Manager
E-mail: [email protected]
My company:
ANTHI Vietnam Co., Ltd
7th floor #706, Cartographic Publishing House Building
85 Nguyen Chi Thanh street, Hanoi, Vietnam
Homepage:www.3dscan.com.vn <http://www.3dscan.com.vn>

dan_mccurdy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel McCurdy
Company Details: Geometria Ltd.
Company Position Title: Technical Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by dan_mccurdy »

ddustin wrote: Dan,
Any more testing done?
Have you tried rendering with it?
Sorry, but I am very gun shy of Bentley and PT...
Too many broken promises and lack of delivery.
David
I held off replying because I hadn't done a deep dive on it yet, but I have been rendering over the last couple of days and doing quite a bit of editing and can now talk about the new Pointools with a bit more authority. In summation :
- rendering movies seems to have been completely fixed. I haven't had the movie rendering crash at all. But the largest POD I have been working on is only about 10GB, rather than my usual 100GB PODs that made it crash in the past.

- there are still issues with editing. Big issues. I haven't reported these to Bentley (and I will attempt to submit them soon, but I only came across them today), but basically editing seems to be more broken than before unfortunately. Working on a fairly simple 8GB POD even the most basic point cloud painting consistently makes it crash after a few strokes.

- the save and restore of PTL projects is still broken and so you can't rely on a project actually saving everything you want it to save. For example I did a small amount of editing (a stack about 10 long of just hiding/deleting points) and then saved. Then I did some painting, which made it crash (of course). On opening a fair chunk of the point cloud was gone and I couldn't get it back no matter what I did (hiding all/unhiding all, refresh edit, regenerate edit etc... So it seems that it shouldn't be used for editing - you cannot rely on it to actually save your edits consistently.

- when painting with the ball brush it will randomly select the entire cloud (making it turn orange), thus meaning you have to stop painting, deselect all, then start painting again. This happens after about 5 seconds of painting ... making painting a VERY slow process.

So, very sadly I have to give the summation that this is still very much a beta release. Too many issues to be able to be used for production work. That makes me sad because it seems (on the face of it) to be much improved. To be honest the editing in the old beta version was more stable than in the new one. But the movie rendering is much better in the new one.

I should mention that this crashing occurs when working on a POD file exported from Scene. So that could be the issue. When working on a POD that had been saved by Pointools I didn't have any crashes at all. So the problem COULD lie on the side of Scene. The weird "select all while painting" issue does still occur however, making painting very slow.
Dan McCurdy
Geometria Heritage Management
http://geometria.co.nz/

fj-Bentley
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by fj-Bentley »

Hi Dan
Sorry to hear that you are having issues. You are the first to report these problems so any assistance you can give to help us reproduce the issues will be greatly appreciated.
With regard to the issue with POD files created in Faro Scene, we would always recommend that you use Bentley Pointools. However if you can report the issue to Faro they should be able to get it resolved.
I will get in touch with you for more details

jm1706
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: James Miles
Company Details: Archaeovision
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jm1706 »

fj-Bentley wrote:Please provide me with contact details and I will arrange a download link for you.
Are you still able to do this?

I am working with the v8i 02.00.01.04 (2.0140519) and I'd like to update it to the latest addition to stop the bugs crashing the system when rendering animations out.

I am based at the University of Southampton and have a license for pointools attached to our research group. Could you send me a link as I cannot download it from the Bentley site?

James

fj-Bentley
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by fj-Bentley »

Please login to the Bentley Support Portal and make a Service Request. We will be able to assist you with your download.

https://www.bentley.com/en/support

Return to “Pointools”