Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Re: Manipulator Size in faro Scene

Post by 3DForensics »

As a side note, the manipulators only work with the numeric keypad +/- keys and not the ones on the top of the keyboard which control zoom.

Adrian,

Again, I would divert to 3ds Max or Maya...these programs are built for people who work in 3D all day long. You can move the manipulator in Max away from the default location so that you can rotate from any position you want. What's also cool in Max is that if you start a move (let's say in the x-direction only) and then move so the manipulator is off screen, you can continue to move in the x-direction when you click on the 3d model with the mouse.

I don't want to be too hard on FARO, but I do want to recommend it as a nice improvement.
jaredmatthews
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jared
Company Details: Sova Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: jaredmatthews
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by jaredmatthews »

After addressing the issue with Faro support, I got the following reply:

"I just got feedback from our development. Here it is currently not possible to adapt. The setting must be performed each time. However, our development is working on a solution"

So lets hope that this "seemingly menial" issue is addressed in the next scene update.

And it is obviously something that many people want addressed, so hopefully Faro is listening ;)
BrianBrill
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Brian
Company Details: Mountain Graphix
Company Position Title: CEO

Post by BrianBrill »

Has anyone heard from Scene about this issue?

When I think about using Scene, I immediately get frustrated at the thought of the GIANT manipulator icon blocking the work.
I then need to constantly keep one finger on the '-' key, and resize EVERY time I select on a scan.
I am also curious if anyone at Faro has ever worked on an actual project?
Please, you guys can program better than this.
Please fix as soon as possible.

thank you...
travistlo
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Travis Johnson
Company Details: United States
Company Position Title: V.P.

Post by travistlo »

Life Support this thread.

2 years and 7.1 still has a crappy manipulator

While we are at it, there should a transform tool that updates based on the current selected object. The amount of mouse clicks and keystrokes in scene is CRAZY high.
SteveBury
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Bury
Company Details: Bury Associates Limited

Post by SteveBury »

travistlo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:33 pm Life Support this thread.

2 years and 7.1 still has a crappy manipulator

While we are at it, there should a transform tool that updates based on the current selected object. The amount of mouse clicks and keystrokes in scene is CRAZY high.
I could not agree more. It is beyond belief that years have passed and no-one at Faro can even be arsed to fix a minor graphical problem that wastes vast amounts of time for users. Maybe if they didn't spend their time dicking around with things like VR headsets they could concentrate on fixing the problems with SCENE and do something about the fact that in 6 years we have seen precisely zero functions added that in any way improve productivity.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

SteveBury wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:11 pmMaybe if they didn't spend their time dicking around with things like VR headsets they could concentrate on fixing the problems with SCENE and do something about the fact that in 6 years we have seen precisely zero functions added that in any way improve productivity.
+1000

Every time a new version comes out I excitedly open up the release notes, "Surely this time they will have fixed some long standing issues or added something to my life better."

Nope, nearly all of the usability issues that existed when I started using Scene back at version 4.8 still exist.

Maybe next year.
Jed
Cranfill.ca
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Cody Cranfill
Company Details: Construction Engineering
Company Position Title: Scan Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Cranfill.ca »

+++

the mechanical keyboard I travel with doesn't have a number pad. We should at least be able to rebind a shortcut key. ><
brian715
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Boehmer
Company Details: Meridian Eng.
Company Position Title: LiDAR Technician

Post by brian715 »

Thread Revived.... Please fix this. The "-" symbol on my keyboard is wearing off, not that I need the symbol to figure out where that key it is because I have to use it ALL THAT TIME!!!!
srichardprologue
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Sebastien Richard
Company Details: Prologue Systems LLC
Company Position Title: Field Operations

Post by srichardprologue »

Cranfill.ca wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:12 pm +++

the mechanical keyboard I travel with doesn't have a number pad. We should at least be able to rebind a shortcut key. ><
+1 I have been dying for customizable hotkeys since I first opened the Scene App.
+++++1 I feel the manipulator issue is likely a relatively easy fix from the developers.
jaredmatthews
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jared
Company Details: Sova Surveys Limited
Skype Name: jaredmatthews

Post by jaredmatthews »

I found a fix to this.
It's not easy, and it's not cheap. But it works!

Wait for it.....

I moved over to Trimble Realworks!

After having been frustrated with the lack of care for the ease of usability being pushed aside to make way for less relevant additions (like the VR Steve mentioned) I bit the bullet and invested time and money (both well spent in hindsight) learning a new software solution. And what a solution it is!
I'm sure the likes of Leica and Cyclone are just as versatile, but I am not too familiar with it, so can't comment.

Bottom line, if you want to focus on registering your scans and complete your project with confidence, go with these packages.
If you want to play around with pretty VR environments and figure out the tolerances of your survey using a ree yellow green traffic light system (I STILL don't quite get how it comes up with some of the results - iv seen a staircase floating between two floors and partially outside and scene gave it the green light- lol) then scene is your tool!

Return to “General Chat”