Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

THREADRIPPER PRO 5000 WX PRICING COMPARISON

Post by dhirota »

Just in case you are not a DIY builder of workstations

viewtopic.php?t=17513

and need to purchase an AMD ThreadRipper Pro 5000 WX, William George of Puget Systems did a comparison on July 6, 2022.

0.Threadripper PRO Workstation Pricing Comparison_ Puget Systems vs Lenovo.jpg

1.Threadripper PRO Workstation Pricing Comparison_ Puget Systems vs Lenovo-ENTRY-LEVEL.jpg
2.Threadripper PRO Workstation Pricing Comparison_ Puget Systems vs Lenovo-MED-PRICE.jpg
3.Threadripper PRO Workstation Pricing Comparison_ Puget Systems vs Lenovo-HIGH-END.jpg

For the DIY people, after September, you could probably build a 5995WX 64core, ECC 256GB RAM, 2XSamsung 980 Pro 2TB Boot NVMe sticks, and a NVIDIA RTXA5000 GPU with ECC24GB VRAM (now US$2,000) for a total of US$12,000 (no freight or tax) according to my recent checks on costs (Amazon USA, August 4, 2022). If you want the NVIDIA RTX A2000 with ECC12GB VRAM for US$900. A 5975WX 32core workstation for US$9,000 with the same features as the 5995WX unit, assuming that you are purchasing everything now, except the CPU.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: THREADRIPPER PRO 5000 WX PRICING COMPARISON

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Dennis,

I'm a real nOOb when it comes to all this data but there must be a massive increase in speed and performance when i only look at the prices of these towers?

Isn't it frustrating to know that like the most expensive pc will be outdated in a few weeks when something new comes up again?

You should start a sidebusiness building these machines for end-users like us ;)
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

I see amazon.de are listing the 5975WX as in stock at €3,783.28 excl. VAT.
See https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Thread-5975W ... RAOLKJRZ1Y Seems like much better bang for your buck than the 5975WX at just under €9k. That said, it could still represent a relatively small proportion of the overall cost of scan guy, scanner, software, travel, insurance and office costs and represent value on that basis. Personally, I prefer to run with a number of cheaper workstations rather than a single big one, but that is down largely to the way I work.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

Lieven

The main reason for posting this AMD ThreadRipper Pro 5000WX comparison is to illustrate commercial availability versus DIY costs. I am not in the business of building workstations for others, but only for our internal use. This takes a significant amount of research and learning.

Most of the people visiting LSF looking for processing systems appear not to have spent the time to search the threads on LSF. The comparison on this thread illustrates the items and costs (more than MSRP) that would compose a top of the line post-processing system workstation at three levels.

LESSONS LEARNED: Know where your information about hardware systems, future generations of CPU, GPU processing, and storage are coming from.

Generally, the most expensive workstations will not be out dated “in a few weeks” if you purchase at the beginning of a “new generation” of technology, depending on whose definition you are using. Our 18 core workstation is working just fine from 3 years ago, but not the same as 64 cores, ECC512 GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe sticks and NVIDIA RTXA6000 with ECC48GB VRAM on 128 lanes of PCIe Gen4 of the ThreadRippers.

The effort to build a 12, 16, or 24 core AMD system is almost identical except for cost of CPU. I could build a 12 core system that would process most of the software and datasets found on the LSF for US$3,000 to $4,000.

Would it have a NVIDIA RTXA6000 with ECC48GB VRAM (MSRP US$4,600)? NO.
Would it remove dynamic objects (500million points) from a 1.7billion point cloud in 16minutes of post processing? Probably NOT.
Would it colorize the 1.7 billion point cloud in 7minutes15seconds? Almost surely NOT.

LESSONS LEARNED: For a small firms like ours and yours, to respond quickly and to have the ability to produce client information like large firms in the shortest amount of time is money in your pocket.

SamOHirota_ACECH_30x30panel_2022_AWARD.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dhirota on Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Post by TommyMaddox »

We will have our 5995WX station this month.

Should be interesting to crunch numbers on in comparison to our current 3970x based system.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Kruse »

I have been doing some pretty extensive testing with various towers built from Dell/Lenovo to Puget System custom builds. We use a combination of Dell machines and Puget Systems for our laser scanning processing needs between projects. All our testing was completed with Leica software, so mostly Regsiter 360 (2022) and 3DR (2022) since that's the way our company has been moving towards the last couple years.

Register 360 takes advantage of all the cores when importing point cloud data. When processing images, it's mostly single threaded, so it's a balance to find the best overall suited CPU to ensure the fastest possible turn around times.

A few computers tested so far included builds containing these CPU's:
  • AMD 3970X
  • AMD 3975WX
  • AMD 5950X
  • AMD 5975WX
  • Intel 12900K
  • Dual Intel Xeon 8280's
GPU's didn't affect Register 360 processing times, only with 3DR and some of the autoclassification operations. For all testing, 3090's and A6000's were used.
RAM, the Threadrippers were running 256GB of DDR4 RAM. The Intel 12900K was maxed out at 128GB of 3600MHz DDR5 RAM. and the Dual Xeon's were running with 384GB - 2934MHz - DDR4 ECC.

Storage/Memory was the fastest NvME drives available, so Gen 4. Speeds were tested anywhere from 4500MB/s to 7500MB/s for individual drives. No RAID setups. Minimum of 2 seperate NvME Drives used for Register 360 to have seperate temp and raw scan folder locations to ensure not bottlenecks.

Long story short, the 12900K based computers were the fastest by a long shot. The crazy fast single threaded speeds allowed it to crunch through datasets in half the time, if not faster, than the 3970X based computer. Even though it had less cores compared to the Threadripper, it was able to keep up in the multithreaded applications, but absolutely destroyed the Threadrippers when it came to single threaded operations, which a large chunk of Regsiter 360 projects require. I couldn't get my hands on a 12900KS at the time of this testing, but it's safe to assume you'd see slightly more performace out of the 12900KS version, assuming you can continue to keep it running cool. The 12900K CPU and Dell's water cooling option were hurting the overall performance and the CPU was running at 95C-99C when multithreading and importing datasets. Just something to consider assuming you want your computer to last a couple years before upgrading again.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

For those that are still looking for an AMD 5000WX ThreadRipper Pro from a custom builder with a warranty, here is another possible vendor.

AVA-DIRECT.jpg

The following listing was provided by Tommy Maddox for his recent purchase of a custom built system at a cost of US$16,105 (pricing has changed since I called, so those that are interested need to check for themselves) not including freight or tax. The system that Tommy purchased should be compared to the High-End systems described in the Lenovo and Puget systems. When comparing the three 5995WX systems, besides the lower pricing, Tommy's system has double the ECC RAM memory to 512GB, 7X 2TB NVMe drives, significantly better power supply (1600W) with 10 year warranty.

It does not have the 2X NVIDIA RTX A6000 (additional US$10K) cost and processing power, but Tommy probably does not need it now.

AVA-DIRECT-PRICE.jpg

A DIY would possibly spend US$14K-15K, depending on parts source, with no warranty except for parts.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

If you are considering purchasing a Lenovo Thinkstation P620, you should consider whether their use of the AMD PSB (Platform Secure Boot) feature described in the attachment below will affect your future use of possibly moving the CPU to another motherboard system.

LENOVO-AMD-PSB.jpg
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Post by TommyMaddox »

Our 5995WX based machine has arrived and we've gone through the motions over the last week or two.

I will probably add a second RTX3090 card in the next couple days, as RiScan Pro slows to a completely unusable state when the GPU memory is exceeded by any amount. 24GB allows us to view about 100 scans seamlessly with nearly no rendering time, but the instant 24GB is exceeded, you can barely use the software at all, and additional scans are loaded into RAM by only one CPU core, a pretty big issue when we are dealing with 2500+ scan projects in that software package.

On the FARO SCENE side of things, the time required to process a 252 scan project was 25 minutes. Our scans are majority 1/4 3x, maybe a couple 1/2 2x scans, with color (LI-HDR), and sphere detection.

This works out to one scan fully processed every 6 seconds, which is an enormous improvement over all of our other machines including the 4.2ghz all core overclocked 3970X with 256GB RAM, which took 1 hour. It's notable that while this SCENE processing was taking place, we were also doing filtering operations in RiScan Pro.

By comparison an older overclocked 7700k 64GB system took 4 hours.

For the extremely high volumes of scans we process weekly, this represents a great value for cost, and will tide us over until the next year or so when I look to move us to in house rack-mount HPC systems.

Unfortunately there is no support for PBO/overclocking on this motherboard at this time even though AMD states the CPU supports it. I've requested that ASUS include that in a future BIOS update, as there is a ton of thermal and power headroom remaining (CPU barely reaches 50C at full load with this cooler). Will update this thread with further performance metrics as we use it with the second GPU and larger projects.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

TommyMaddox wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:59 pm For the extremely high volumes of scans we process weekly, this represents a great value for cost, and will tide us over until the next year or so when I look to move us to in house rack-mount HPC systems.
how much do you usually process in a week? and how many scanners do you work with?

Return to “General Chat”