Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Unwrapping hyperboloid pointcloud shape with colour

Post by smacl »

Ioannis wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:40 am
stevenramsey wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:36 am
Ioannis wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:19 am Hello, I have a pointcloud chimney in a shape like a hyperboloid how its possible to unwrapping it with colour?
Pointcab has only unwrapping of cylinder shapes not hyperboloid or cones.
The shape is similar to the attached.
Waiting for your help.
As you can see there are a few ways to do it also you can search the forum as there is a routine called unfurl which I have used.

But the bigger question is what type of projection do you clients request. ie which dimensions do you wish to be correct.
Client want a perfect unwrap model with colour in order to view the damage of Chimney and calculate quantities for repair.
Programs that i had so far is Cylone full, pointcab and cloud compare.
Once you project a hyperboloid onto a plane there is no single 'perfect unwrap', i.e. distances measured on the plane will not correspond with distances on the hyperboloid surface for the same points in all axes. (same goes for projection of most curved surfaces onto a plane, e.g. a globe onto flat earth). The question then becomes how do you want to unwrap your hyperboloid and where do you want the distortions? Personally, I'd tend to go with projecting distance along median horizontal radius to x axis, distance along vertical hyperbola as y-axis and distance away from design parabola as z-axis. This scheme lets you see cracks as depths and puts the distortion on the x-axis.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “General Chat”