To chat about anything else.
jsteinert
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: joshua steinert
Company Details: pb2 architecture + engineering
Company Position Title: Graphics Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Comparison Geoslam Zeb Horizon, Navvis VLX, Kaarta Stencil 2 and Gexcel Heron

Post by jsteinert »

Lieven,
There is a yearly subscription cost in addition to per project costs.

We do on premise processing, and do have access to panos with pose file. We just haven't figured out what can be done with that processed dataset. NavVis has updated the E57 export from its cloud utility to contain spherical panos.
Chiara
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Chiara Melandri
Company Details: NavVis GmbH
Company Position Title: BDM and Partner Executive
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Comparison Geoslam Zeb Horizon, Navvis VLX, Kaarta Stencil 2 and Gexcel Heron

Post by Chiara »

Hello everyone,

And thanks for this interesting thread!

It is definitely worth distinguishing between Cloud Processing and NavVis IVION Core used in combination with NavVis VLX.

With our Cloud Processing Add-on for NavVis IVION Core, you can process laser scan data captured by NavVis devices anywhere with an internet connection. You can easily set up and start processing multiple datasets on-site and reduce the time from mapping to usable data. The power of cloud computing allows parallel processing, and the workflow is as uncomplicated and user-friendly as we could imagine it.

NavVis IVION Core is a reality capture platform for managing 3D scans with intuitive tools for creation, collaboration, and publication. Point clouds and panoramic images are transformed into intelligent spaces, which are accessible for a variety of purposes and deliverables…

There is an annual fee for the Cloud Processing Add-On, while NavVis IVION is available in packages that try to meet different needs. We recommend getting in touch with us for all the details - please do not hesitate to send me a message.

A short note on our software developments efforts. Our cloud products are also designed to bypass the hassle of setting up and maintaining your own infrastructure. And we strive to improve our processing algorithms to allow for better data usability. So improvements in quality (of your data and overall experience) result from our software developments.

We look forward to hearing from you!
M.Whitford
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mark Whitford
Company Details: Michael Grear Surveys
Company Position Title: Licensed Surveyor

Post by M.Whitford »

We have been using a Kaarta Stencil 2 for a couple of years
As with all the handheld slam scanners, it will depend on what you need it to do, and how you verify the scan data is correct.
The benefit of the Stencil over some of the others is that the scanner itself is an i7 processor that has all the recording and post processing software onboard, including cloudcompare for viewing, accessible using a phone, ipad or PC via remote viewer. There is no ongoing costs / subscriptions.
The post processing is user adjustable, and data can be re-processed multiple times if required.
We can mount our RTK on top and it will record the trajectory and include this in the post processing routine to correct drift and georeferenced scans.
The downside is the narrow vertical field of view (+/- 30 degrees) which means it doesn’t like tight, narrow spaces like inside office / residential buildings.
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sim.herrod »

We've been using a VLX for just short of a year.

It's been massively helpful in reducing site time, and overall we're happy with it.

There are some improvements/changes we would like to see, but the Navvis team are very open to suggestions.

Return to “General Chat”