Do TOF scanner have edge artifacts or is this typicaly a phase based scanner issue

To chat about anything else.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Do TOF scanner have edge artifacts or is this typicaly a phase based scanner issue

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

We have an old survey from a client and we are trying to figure out if it was done with their P40 (+-1mm) or their Faro scanner (x130, +-2mm).We want to look at the deformation of the structural elements and we just want to know the used device for confidence in accuracy. I tough I could tell by identifying the edge artifact then I tough I actually didn't know if TOF scanners produced edge artifacts or not. See picture bellow;
Edge artifac.png
Do TOF scanner produce edge artifacts as well or is this only a phase based scanner issue?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JeffT
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Jeff T
Company Details: Geospatial
Company Position Title: Engineering Technician
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Do TOF scanner have edge artifacts or is this typicaly a phase based scanner issue

Post by JeffT »

The P40 can have edge artifacts. Generally these are removed using the "mixed pixel" filter on import. I have not seen edge artifacts like that from a Leica, even without filtering. Just by looking at the data, I would assume that was a FARO scanner.
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Re: Do TOF scanner have edge artifacts or is this typicaly a phase based scanner issue

Post by TommyMaddox »

Yeah I would assume X130 processed before the edge filtering improvements in SCENE.

We don't really see a lot of edge spray data issues like that in the last couple years.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

We are using RTC360 and don't have those edglines. But in the previous years we have rented few faro (x130/s70) and those had this edg sprays...

this is a recent rtc360
RTC360.PNG
and this is a faro scan...
farox130.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Post by TommyMaddox »

If it isn't getting processed in SCENE with edge filtering enabled, that's gonna be a factor for sure. We don't have any issues with our data sets due to filtering with both the Faro SCENE edge filter and the Tag Labs edge filter prior to registration or export. If you're importing these x130 scans straight into Cyclone for registration, or exporting from SCENE without the edge filtering steps applied, it will be a guaranteed issue.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Hi Badam,

I was more curious about the TOF vs Phase based in regards to edge artifacts on a technology stand point. Those artifacts can be filtered out with filters. I have a feeling your comparison is bias since the RTC360 probably applies filters on its data, hence you do not get the raw data from the scanner like you would on a faro scanner. A faro scanner gives you the options to keep the raw data or apply your own filtering solutions to get clean data. As for the RTC, I am only basing this on my knowledge with a BLK scanner, that those do apply filters automatically (and you can't turn that off), hence you don't see the raw data ever. I can only assume they do the same with RTC scanners.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:12 pm Hi Badam,

I was more curious about the TOF vs Phase based in regards to edge artifacts on a technology stand point. Those artifacts can be filtered out with filters. I have a feeling your comparison is bias since the RTC360 probably applies filters on its data, hence you do not get the raw data from the scanner like you would on a faro scanner. A faro scanner gives you the options to keep the raw data or apply your own filtering solutions to get clean data. As for the RTC, I am only basing this on my knowledge with a BLK scanner, that those do apply filters automatically (and you can't turn that off), hence you don't see the raw data ever. I can only assume they do the same with RTC scanners.
You maybe right but the register 360 has some filtering option for the rtc360. if you want i could import a few setups without any filtering options. And I'll share it later. Of course if there is any other filtering on the device it cannot be modified... Maybe we can get more information after that
rtc360_filter_options.PNG
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Hi Badam,

That is interesting I honestly didn't know RTC gives raw data. You could look at a some unfiltered if you want, but I already got my answer, both technologies do produce edge artifacts so I wouldn't really need you to do this. For curiosity tough you could do it just to see how data looks, sometimes keeping the raw data and not applying edge filters is worth it for some projects (for my use case its when I need to scan power lines).

Best regards,
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

Hi!

I've just imported a few scans without any filtering at least in the registration software (we don't have any information what happens on the scanner). And I cannot see any difference between the two. It can mean anything, but you said that you need that function when you scan powerlines. This was scanned with RTC360 high resolution which means 3.14mm@10m

some tubes, ducts
with filter
rtc360_with_filter_tubes.PNG
without filter
rtc360_without_filter_tubes.PNG
[off]
I have a small low voltage powerline which was around 50m from the scanner position and i can see the line with and without filters as well. Maybe leica process things differently. the imagery is RGB and the real point cloud is overlayed by intensity you can see that the line was not continous all the way, but the filter didn't do anything to it.

with filters
rtc360_with_filters_cable.PNG
without filters
rtc360_without_filters_cable.PNG
[/off]

Return to “General Chat”