I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Lei Fan
Company Details: Southampton Uni
Company Position Title: Researcher
Linkedin Profile: No

Remove point cloud data outside the perimeter of a building

Post by lf2e10 »

Dear All
When the building indoor environment is scanned, some point cloud data outside the perimeter or boundary surface of a building are often recorded, due to the presence of openings (e.g. windows, doors). How did you normally remove those unwanted data points and keep only those representing the building indoor objects. Manual selection and deletion were considered for data points that are relatively distant from the building perimeter. However, for data points that are very close to the building perimeter, the manual process can be time consuming for a large data set. Are there any procedure or software that can be used to delete those unwanted data point in one go (automatically if possible)? Many thanks.

Best wishes, Lee
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Remove point cloud data outside the perimeter of a building

Post by steves01x »

In Cyclone:

Top Image: Final registered model space, top view and copy fenced area (to edge of site/area of interest) to a new model space then export it from there.

Bottom Image: you can open/create new model space per scan and use the fence/clip box to clean the points (which i do for windows/people etc external i leave most of the good additional data) to help the C2C reg if that is what is being used.
cyclone_001.JPG
cyclone_002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

I usually label my exterior scans with a _ext . Then whe. youtr allignrment is done, export everything and do 2 distinct recap files, one for interior scans and one for exterior scans. Selecting them is easy sincr you already labelled all the exterior scans with a _ext when you were surveying. Then within recap I delete the refracted or reflected point for both rcp. I always provide 2 distinct file at the end, and _ext.rcs and a _int.rcs

As of now you cant delete thos automatically since it deals witg "mirror effect". I feel like a very powerfull AI could do it but we are not there yet.
melshy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Duy Nguyen
Company Details: Baezeni VietNam
Company Position Title: Baezeni VietNam
Skype Name: duy_bz

Post by melshy »

For example with Recap select the data to want to remove and delete it or Group to a new layout :)
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by gsisman »

lf2e10 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:10 am Dear All
When the building indoor environment is scanned, some point cloud data outside the perimeter or boundary surface of a building are often recorded, due to the presence of openings (e.g. windows, doors). How did you normally remove those unwanted data points and keep only those representing the building indoor objects. Manual selection and deletion were considered for data points that are relatively distant from the building perimeter. However, for data points that are very close to the building perimeter, the manual process can be time consuming for a large data set. Are there any procedure or software that can be used to delete those unwanted data point in one go (automatically if possible)? Many thanks.

Best wishes, Lee
What software are you using?
lf2e10
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Lei Fan
Company Details: Southampton Uni
Company Position Title: Researcher

Post by lf2e10 »

gsisman wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:56 pm
What software are you using?
I used Cyclone for initial processing.

To other replies: yes, I know that we can manually select and delete those. I was looking for a tool that might be able to do that job automatically :) .

Return to “General Chat”