Is This The End Of The Lithium-Ion Battery?

To chat about anything else.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-Gene ... ttery.html

"There are currently no commercially available aluminum batteries, but now the question scientists are asking is whether they can one day replace lithium-ion batteries.

“Of course, we hope that they can. But above all, they can be complementary, ensuring that lithium-ion batteries are only used where strictly necessary,” Johansson says.

According to the scientist, the team still has much work to do with the electrolyte and charging mechanisms, but they believe that aluminum is generally “a significantly better charge carrier than lithium, since it is multivalent – which means every ion 'compensates' for several electrons.”

“Furthermore, the batteries have the potential to be significantly less environmentally harmful,” Johansson added.

...cont.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Is This The End Of The Lithium-Ion Battery?

Post by pburrows145 »

Scott wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:35 pm Is This The End Of The Lithium-Ion Battery?
https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-Gene ... ttery.html

"There are currently no commercially available aluminum batteries, but now the question scientists are asking is whether they can one day replace lithium-ion batteries.

“Of course, we hope that they can. But above all, they can be complementary, ensuring that lithium-ion batteries are only used where strictly necessary,” Johansson says.

According to the scientist, the team still has much work to do with the electrolyte and charging mechanisms, but they believe that aluminum is generally “a significantly better charge carrier than lithium, since it is multivalent – which means every ion 'compensates' for several electrons.”

“Furthermore, the batteries have the potential to be significantly less environmentally harmful,” Johansson added.

...cont.
Very interesting indeed. I imagine this is 5-10 years away, but exciting.. for all aspects of life!
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Is This The End Of The Lithium-Ion Battery?

Post by Matt Young »

Brilliant... Aluminium is about the worst thing for the environment in terms of it's extraction and production.

And a link to oilprice.com.

Couldn't be less green if you tried :lol:
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.

Return to “General Chat”