I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mark Partain
Company Details: Ei Consultants LLC
Company Position Title: Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Point Clouds and 3DS Max

Post by Mark_P »

I bet this has been discussed plenty but I'm trying to figure out the best way to get a point cloud into 3DS Max.

As far as I can tell, the only file format accepted is RCP or maybe RCS from Recap. I have Recap Pro and have brought a point cloud into Max but I have a problem. The scanner photographed people at the site and I can't find out how to re-color the points in the cloud using ReCap.

I can remove extra points and remove photographed people in FARO Scene but none of the export options seem to be supported with Max.

I can clean the point cloud in Scene and export a format to go into ReCap so I can then get a file for Max but I got stopped again. There is an issue with the units and a 15 foot square section got switched to 15 meters and then blown up to 51 feet by the time I got the thing into Max. I've tried switching units of scale in the programs but no luck yet.

I have seen Clouds to Max and it looks great but I'd like to save some cash.

Can someone point me to a thread on this or offer some advice?

Thanks in advance.
DavidL
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: David Lander
Company Details: Thames Valley Police Authority
Company Position Title: Crime Scene Surveyor

Re: Point Clouds and 3DS Max

Post by DavidL »

What version of Scene are you using? It's had RCP export for a while now. I only have Recap basic and can't see any option to colour points. What you could do is edit the people out of the photos in photoshop prior to applying the colour in Scene. Get it looking how you want in Scene first and then export for Recap.
Mark_P
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Mark_P »

Hey DaividL,

Thanks a ton. I have the latest version of Scene but only looked in the export point cloud section. I found the RCP option in the export project section. I already edited the pics using the export/import photo overlay method.

I'll export right to RCP from Scene and take that into Max.

Thanks again!
vislaw
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Johnson
Company Details: Visual Law Group
Company Position Title: Principal and Chief Creative Officer

Post by vislaw »

We use 3ds Max as a primary tool and have been working with point clouds for some time. Awhile ago there was a workflow to bring PTS point clouds into Max but now Autodesk has settled on a Recap-based workflow. For our work we rarely use point clouds in Max except for a modeling reference and, instead, we convert clouds to meshes that can accept shadows and lighting.

In my opinion, Autodesk has a ways to go to make Max truly point cloud friendly.

Just curious what your objective is and what the final product is that you are creating for your clients.
Mark_P
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Mark_P »

I'm trying to produce dimensionally and physically accurate representations of accidents. These can be auto accidents, forklifts overturning or dropping things or pedestrians. The animation needs to represent the event as accurately as possible so the detail in a point cloud is nice. Meshing the road or building surface may be as nice though. I'm just getting into Max so I've got a lot to learn. I'm still figuring out the parent/child relationships and getting things to pivot and move correctly for the animation. This point cloud was created with ReCap Photo but it gives an example of what I'm going for. It was done in accident reconstruction specific software and I want more flexibility through 3DS Max.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark_P
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Mark_P »

By the way, thanks to you guys, I just loaded a point cloud in Max with proper dimensions and got a forklift placed.
Capture2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vislaw
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Johnson
Company Details: Visual Law Group
Company Position Title: Principal and Chief Creative Officer

Post by vislaw »

Mark_P wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:00 pm I'm trying to produce dimensionally and physically accurate representations of accidents. These can be auto accidents, forklifts overturning or dropping things or pedestrians. The animation needs to represent the event as accurately as possible so the detail in a point cloud is nice. Meshing the road or building surface may be as nice though. I'm just getting into Max so I've got a lot to learn. I'm still figuring out the parent/child relationships and getting things to pivot and move correctly for the animation. This point cloud was created with ReCap Photo but it gives an example of what I'm going for. It was done in accident reconstruction specific software and I want more flexibility through 3DS Max.

Capture.JPG
Nice! ... Say, you said the scene you included was a point cloud generated with ReCap photo. That looks more dense than point clouds I've seen from ReCap and the trees look more like what I've seen generated from meshing tools. I'm curious about the point density. Could you give us a closer view of the road and trees so I can see the actual point density?

Return to “General Chat”